Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

38 gallon Stocking

Would this be too much for a 38 gallon tank or just slightly overcrowded:
3 acares reef chromis (max size 2 inches)
4 firefish
2 ocellaris clownfish

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If those are the fish you like I think they would be fine. BUT you might want to add something else instead of 4 firefish lol. There are quite a few choices out there so be prepared to change your mind once you see some. lol

Check out Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and look under nano fish for starters. There are just so many options!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why not 4 firefish
Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh, nothing wrong with it per se, just thought you might like some diversity. lol It's your tank and if you like firefish then by all means go for it!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanks. I was starting to think that the tank was too small and I'm on a budget but I really want all those fish.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The ones you picked out are not large and should be just fine. The firefish and chromis will be the active middle water fish while the clowns will most liekly find a corner soemwhere and hang out there. At least thats been my experience with clowns. lol

I happen to have a firefish and really like him, he is always out and about. The chromis are a good choice too as they are hardy, cheapo and always active as well.

I wouldnt go with anymore fish unless you consider bottom dwellers like gobies as you will have a good amount of fish already. If it were me I would get a bottom dweller too, shrimp gobies can form relationships with pistol shrimp, it's awesome to see. The goby will bring food to the shrimp and they take care of each other. They dont swim around much but it is one of those things in nature that is great to watch. Just more options for you. 38g isn't a huge tank but it can house a good amount of livestock if you think it all out well.

Good luck! let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just asking but a green mandarin would be too much right? If I were to get one though it would probably be after a year though after I'm absolutely positive the tank is cycled.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

mandarins are tough, most dont make it in home aquaria unfortunately. They almost always eat pods and you need alot of rockwork and usually a refugium in a sump below to supply one with enough and even then they may not have enough pods to eat. You can buy ORA ones that are about $50 where I live and they are supposed to eat pellets. The one I bought did not, it took a month of eating every pod in my tank before it would come around and eat frozen food. A few years later now and he does actually eat everything I put in the tank but especially likes new life spectrum small pellets. I think I got lucky, not sure I would try it again though, I stressed for that whole first month that I was gonna starve him to death. lol
Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanks. Maybe after I have a good amount of money to buy a big tank with a sump refugium I'll think about getting a mandarin. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
There's many better choices then Firefish IMO. It's your tank, but I would go with one or two wrasses as well.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com