Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Teef ?? Reef. Ok so i have a spare 3 ft tank. NOTE, I have never had saltwater . I have a Aquis 1200 filtre ready and a light . What do i need to get it going for salt water. Im interested in clown fish and Lion fish mainly, plus i saw a white eyed moray that was very cool. I cant go any bigger than 3 ft for space reasons.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So it sounds like u are wanting to go with a fowlr tank? And a predator tank at that.

How deep is the tank? But to start a fowlr tank you need rock (preferably live), filter, sand, light, and a test kit. What type of light do you have?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you want my opinion the first thing you should buy is a good ( Salt water aquariums for beginners ) book and do a lot of reading. It's a great hobby to get into but an extremely expensive one if you jump in under informed
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Research is key in this hobby. The good thing with fowlr (fish only w/ live rock) you really dont need a great like which can cost you out the rear. You can prolly do a dwarf lionfish in a 30 gallon. you dont have to have live rock it isnt cheap you could dry rock and seed it with live rock. If you have any questions ask even if you didnt try to research it or you did. Sometimes it may get confussing and it can be straigthen up here.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would strongly suggest live rock and a good light. It is a level of filtering and good bacteria growth.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 to previous replies. Also be aware that lionfish will eat anything/kill anything else in there. If that's what you're goin for awesome. They are very bad ***. Just not good tank mates
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post
Teef ?? Reef. Ok so i have a spare 3 ft tank. NOTE, I have never had saltwater . I have a Aquis 1200 filtre ready and a light . What do i need to get it going for salt water. Im interested in clown fish and Lion fish mainly, plus i saw a white eyed moray that was very cool. I cant go any bigger than 3 ft for space reasons.
For 30g, you can do a dwarf lion, but that'll really be the only fish you can put in there. Any other fish that is appropriate for that size tank will probably get eaten by the lion. :/

For FOWLR, you can use any light you want. It's only for corals that you need a certain amount of light.
You'll also need:
Salt
Hydrometer
Access to RO water and buckets
Test kits for ammo, nitrite, nitrate
Thermometer
Heater
Sand (unless you go barebottom)
Some rock for the lion to perch on
Would suggest skimmer for lion, they're messy
eaters

Personally, I would spray paint the back before you fill the tank, looks a lot better and hides the cords and stuff.

Research a lot. Read lots of threads on this forum, google SW tanks and read. Better to educate yourself so you don't make any mistakes.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

So you couldnt put a clown fish in an anemone in with a Lion fish ?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think a tomato or maroon clow would be fine depending on size but you don't want to crowd the fish. It matters on the gallons as for size if the fish can fit in the lions mouth he/she is in danger of becoming lunch.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocky puck View Post
I think a tomato or maroon clow would be fine depending on size but you don't want to crowd the fish. It matters on the gallons as for size if the fish can fit in the lions mouth he/she is in danger of becoming lunch.
And lions mouths can much open wider than they look like they would.

Tags
3ft, startup, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com