3ft Teef tank startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashley73

Aquarium Advice Freak
Teef ?? Reef. Ok so i have a spare 3 ft tank. NOTE, I have never had saltwater . I have a Aquis 1200 filtre ready and a light . What do i need to get it going for salt water. Im interested in clown fish and Lion fish mainly, plus i saw a white eyed moray that was very cool. I cant go any bigger than 3 ft for space reasons.

So it sounds like u are wanting to go with a fowlr tank? And a predator tank at that.

How deep is the tank? But to start a fowlr tank you need rock (preferably live), filter, sand, light, and a test kit. What type of light do you have?

If you want my opinion the first thing you should buy is a good ( Salt water aquariums for beginners ) book and do a lot of reading. It's a great hobby to get into but an extremely expensive one if you jump in under informed

Research is key in this hobby. The good thing with fowlr (fish only w/ live rock) you really dont need a great like which can cost you out the rear. You can prolly do a dwarf lionfish in a 30 gallon. you dont have to have live rock it isnt cheap you could dry rock and seed it with live rock. If you have any questions ask even if you didnt try to research it or you did. Sometimes it may get confussing and it can be straigthen up here.

I would strongly suggest live rock and a good light. It is a level of filtering and good bacteria growth.

+1 to previous replies. Also be aware that lionfish will eat anything/kill anything else in there. If that's what you're goin for awesome. They are very bad ***. Just not good tank mates ;)

Teef ?? Reef. Ok so i have a spare 3 ft tank. NOTE, I have never had saltwater . I have a Aquis 1200 filtre ready and a light . What do i need to get it going for salt water. Im interested in clown fish and Lion fish mainly, plus i saw a white eyed moray that was very cool. I cant go any bigger than 3 ft for space reasons.

For 30g, you can do a dwarf lion, but that'll really be the only fish you can put in there. Any other fish that is appropriate for that size tank will probably get eaten by the lion. :/

For FOWLR, you can use any light you want. It's only for corals that you need a certain amount of light.
You'll also need:
Salt
Hydrometer
Access to RO water and buckets
Test kits for ammo, nitrite, nitrate
Thermometer
Heater
Sand (unless you go barebottom)
Some rock for the lion to perch on
Would suggest skimmer for lion, they're messy
eaters

Personally, I would spray paint the back before you fill the tank, looks a lot better and hides the cords and stuff.

Research a lot. Read lots of threads on this forum, google SW tanks and read. Better to educate yourself so you don't make any mistakes.

So you couldnt put a clown fish in an anemone in with a Lion fish ?

I think a tomato or maroon clow would be fine depending on size but you don't want to crowd the fish. It matters on the gallons as for size if the fish can fit in the lions mouth he/she is in danger of becoming lunch.

I think a tomato or maroon clow would be fine depending on size but you don't want to crowd the fish. It matters on the gallons as for size if the fish can fit in the lions mouth he/she is in danger of becoming lunch.

And lions mouths can much open wider than they look like they would.

Back
Top Bottom