Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah i like the look better and think its easier to get all the uneaten crap off the bottom... Mistake?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeker4 View Post
Yeah i like the look better and think its easier to get all the uneaten crap off the bottom... Mistake?
Honestly I've never researched it but I have a bare bottom in my Quarantine tank. I was just curious.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont plan on have any diggers in my tank so i figured id try it... Worse comes to worse i can add it in at a later date i believe...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I dont plan on have any diggers in my tank so i figured id try it... Worse comes to worse i can add it in at a later date i believe...
Yeah you could but id remove everything living in the tank first. It will cloud for at the minimum a day
Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
many things like a sandy bottom even if they dont actually dig in it.
def wait for zeros as others have said, youve waied this long whats another week? (hopefully less)
also, while cycling you dot need your lights on. you can but nothing in there is either going to benefit from it or require it.
lastly, add another raw shrimp. shouldnt see a spike, but whats happening now is your slowly dwindling down on ammonia in tank, some of your beneficial bacteria is dying and becoming ammonia,but as you can imagine its going to be a losing cycle with that route.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok ill add a shrimp tonight... How long should i leave it in? A week? Thanks for the advice btw!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Well you want to keep adding ammonia until you have something in the tank creating it.
Only a bit of the shrimp is going to break down during a day. Let's say it would release 6ppm throughout a 24 hr period (doesn't matter much how much as long as it's enough to build your bb). The bacteria will multiply until it can't get any more food, bringing your ammonia to zero. Although the shrimp is constantly adding (just like your livestock will), the bacteria will break it down just as fast.
So when you're cycled, you have 0amm, 0trites, and a bunch of trates. Continue to leave the shrimp in until the day before you get fish. Remove the shrimp do your large pwc and start stocking slowly.
Did this all make sense?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

It makes sense to me... I have 7 blue leg hermits in now creating a little bioload but i assume that is not sufficient, so the shrimp in tank until all 0s is the best way?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It makes sense to me... I have 7 blue leg hermits in now creating a little bioload but i assume that is not sufficient, so the shrimp in tank until all 0s is the best way?
When ammonia and nitrite level out add you one or two fish off your list that are docile by nature. And keep doing that every couple weeks till you get stocked to your liking. Adding slowly will build your bio load and bacteria. Just monitor to see if your ammonia spikes when you add if it does, I recommend using some kordon AmQuel Plus. It's a detoxifier for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, chlorine and chloramines. Will help keep you fish from stressing while the bacteria catches up
Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome tip... Thank you... Just did a quick water test and here are my findings w a picture... Still cycling it appears... Ph-8.4, No3-5.0, No2-1.0, and ammonia-0... Its hard to tell because some colors are very close, and i noticed that my test kit expired a year ago... Ordered a new one online for like $27+free shipping(score!!!)... Hope to have it by tuesday or wednesday next week to do a new test w non expired(even though the readings don't appear to be off from where they should be in my stage of cycling) chemicals...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com