Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was referring to the use of AmQuel, IF, when you added a fish you got an unsafe spike in your ammonia levels. Not in place of letting the tank properly cycle.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Adding those types of things destroy your cycling process unless it spikes incredibly high it is not worth using it

Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didnt know any of that, but i also didnt intend on using and chemicals, other than testing purposes, in my tank... Id rather have less work to do ultimately, meaning less dosings etc., in the ling run. So if pwcs do the trick, i am ok w doing 10-20% changes weekly as opposed to putting chemicals in my tank... I appreciate the advice and info exchange!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Double post sorry
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

When should i start doing water changes, cleanings, and the while nine yards? Starting to see some color on the base rock, not much purple, but a light spot starting here and there, and some coloration, what looks like diatoms starting to die off...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
I wait for my cycle to end, that way your not messing with the food supply for your bacteria collection. Which is why you should do a large pwc before you add fish, cuz your trates are high after all that
Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
Adding those types of things destroy your cycling process unless it spikes incredibly high it is not worth using it
I'm not saying to use it in place of the cycle. And ive been using it for a long time on multiple tanks when they spike to unsafe levels. I dont think leaving a shrimp in the tank indefinitely until everything returns to zero is the best advice. I dont see anything good coming from a rotten piece of shrimp in someone's tank but I could be wrong on that one.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you have spike then something is amiss, and I mean in a cycled tank. In a cycling tank it's perfectly normal.

The idea behind the shrimp is to build a strong bb base so that you can add a couple fish without stressing it is gonna spike your parameters. I go to 8ppm of ammonia and after it gets gobbled up within 24 hours I know I am ready. I also dose with pure ammonia instead of the shrimp method, I feel it gives me more control of getting to that 8ppm.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
If you have spike then something is amiss, and I mean in a cycled tank. In a cycling tank it's perfectly normal.

The idea behind the shrimp is to build a strong bb base so that you can add a couple fish without stressing it is gonna spike your parameters. I go to 8ppm of ammonia and after it gets gobbled up within 24 hours I know I am ready. I also dose with pure ammonia instead of the shrimp method, I feel it gives me more control of getting to that 8ppm.
Its been my experience that small tanks will spike but thats just from helping other people out around town. I've never setup a tank personally smaller than a 55g. They "said" it was up and running for months before they added the fish but in reality it could have been up a week and i wouldnt have known the difference. I just like the method of saving the fish rather than let them suffer in toxic water. I help out with a local shop doing odd jobs in exchange for them letting me run my frag tank at their shop and sell my excess frags since they don't carry coral and it brings in more customers. I also do some service calls for them as well. My 180 gallon didn't spike, even when i added the Antennata lion fish a blue line trigger and a harlequin tusk, A little over a year ago. trigger and lion were about 8" in length and the tusk was 5-6" (they were a rescue from a 75 gallon and i rehomed them shortly after to a large public aquarium in Georgia). All i meant by the AmQuel was IF he thinks his tank is cycled and in fact it wasnt ready, INSTEAD of killing the fish with ammonia, dose it with AmQuel. thats all that was meant there. I used the ammonia dosing method as well.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think ive had my ammonia spike... Just realized that my test kits were/are expired... Bought new ones that should arrive tomorrow or wednesday and i can test from there out knowing the tests are reliable... I had 7 blue hermits in there but have lost 2 and i put a little turbo snail in there sunday and it appears to have died, has not moved since being in the tank... Am i still in the midst of my cycle or is that just rotten luck w the crabs and snail... Sorry i have no test parameters to include...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com