Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool thanks for the clarification!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am on my mid 3rd week and these are my readings. Is this on the right track.. Almost done?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3827037883.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	190538

I used uncured live rock for my cycle. It gave off this foul smell around the first week. It is a 20g salt tank.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Johnnypro: It has a way to go. Not sure how close but its definitely cycling. How much rock did you use?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Johnnypro: It has a way to go. Not sure how close but its definitely cycling. How much rock did you use?
The first week the ammonia was off the charts. It's Has went down A lot. I have about 25 pounds of uncured rock. I got the rock when I was down in Florida in May. I got it off the beach. It was sitting until three weeks ago In my garage. I have about another 50 pounds more of The rock. I'm going to be doing 135 gallon salt tank. But figured I'd start small and then go bigger.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post

The first week the ammonia was off the charts. It's Has went down A lot. I have about 25 pounds of uncured rock. I got the rock when I was down in Florida in May. I got it off the beach. It was sitting until three weeks ago In my garage. I have about another 50 pounds more of The rock. I'm going to be doing 135 gallon salt tank. But figured I'd start small and then go bigger.
135 would be more stable water conditions. When your ammonia and nitrite read zero you're done. I would do a large water change to lower nitrates and then give it a week or so after all zeros to ensure you're cycle completed
Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post

135 will have more stable water conditions. Ammonia and nitrite should be zero at the end of the cycle. Nitrates will be high so when you get zeros do a large water change. Then wait a week to ensure your cycle is completed. Test the water. If you're ammonia and nitrite are 0 and you nitrate is ideally less than 20ppm. You should be fine. Check your PH and phosphates if you have the kit as well.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Great advice from tkey
Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post

135 will have more stable water conditions. Ammonia and nitrite should be zero at the end of the cycle. Nitrates will be high so when you get zeros do a large water change. Then wait a week to ensure your cycle is completed. Test the water. If you're ammonia and nitrite are 0 and you nitrate is ideally less than 20ppm. You should be fine. Check your PH and phosphates if you have the kit as well.
This is my reading from this morning. The ammonia looks like it is up but it is zero and ph look a like its a higher then it is it's just the pic

Name:	image-835068152.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	191869

Now I did go to the bay with my son and we got some of those little crabs that hide under the rocks and some small plants.

Name:	image-2647047183.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	191870

Name:	image-75909799.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	191871

What do you guys think as far as what my cycle is doing and will those plants be beneficial to the tank? Also what should I give Rhodes little crabs. I know there scavengers so I crushed up some algae wafers. Lmk thank you all.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ammonia 0 rates and rites 5.0 rates 160. What's going on with this. Still no change.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Sometimes a cycle stalls for a bit, it'll work itself out,

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com