Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

3rd week cycling... Readings???

Readings in pics below... Nitrates low, nitrites lowish, ph 8.4-8.5, ammonia looks around 0... Agree or am i reading wrong? Also, what is my next step? I have 7 blue leg hermit crabs my lfs gave me when i bought a piece of LR...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2982515713.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	186512

Name:	image-218162554.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	186513

Name:	image-2816268135.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	186514

Name:	image-151489110.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	186515

Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That nitrite is too high for live fish right now IMO. Let everything zero out for a while before you add any fish. The crabs may be ok but idk. Wait a week or two after the levels zero out because they will spike right back when you add a fish so do it slow. add one maybe two and wait two weeks and then make sure your levels return back to zero again. If you rush it you will either lose you fish or stress them and shorten their life and make them prone to disease from stress.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thats what i was thinking but i wanted to be sure..x its hard not to add things after looking at an empty tank for 3 whole weeks... As far as the readings go, are they about where they should be for week 3? I had an uncooked shrimp in there for the first 2 weeks, but it fell out and splattered when i was re-doing my rock work... Nothing has been in there for the last week but i am starting to see some diatom blooms now... Thanks for the reply btw!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeker4 View Post
Thats what i was thinking but i wanted to be sure..x its hard not to add things after looking at an empty tank for 3 whole weeks... As far as the readings go, are they about where they should be for week 3? I had an uncooked shrimp in there for the first 2 weeks, but it fell out and splattered when i was re-doing my rock work... Nothing has been in there for the last week but i am starting to see some diatom blooms now... Thanks for the reply btw!!!
Diatoms are a good sign. Let the diatoms die off. Your cycle may go a little longer than most if the shrimp fell to pieces. What all is on/in your tank for equipment and are you running the filter system?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its a biocube 14g... Live rubble instead of bioballs, filter pad, uv sterilizer, no heater as temp stays at 80-81 w feeding hood open all the time, and about 15lbs of LR... Should i run the light full time or leave them off?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Its a biocube 14g... Live rubble instead of bioballs, filter pad, uv sterilizer, no heater as temp stays at 80-81 w feeding hood open all the time, and about 15lbs of LR... Should i run the light full time or leave them off?
I left mine off for the cycle. 80-81 seems a little on the high side. I'd play with uv sterilizer on a timer at night when temps are cooler. Really doesn't have to run 24/7. I run mine for 4 hours at night just to let all the water cycle through a couple times. The pump and light will add extra heat and if your lights have been off they will add even more when you do finish you cycle and put it on a lighting schedule
Old 07-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My lights are on for about 9-10hrs a day... I will have to look at the uv sterilizer and see if i can turn it on and off(was included with the tank) i am in florida so it can get warm quickly but i keep my condo around 74-75 so hopefully that will help keep the temp as low as possible... What set up do you have? Biocube?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
My lights are on for about 9-10hrs a day... I will have to look at the uv sterilizer and see if i can turn it on and off(was included with the tank) i am in florida so it can get warm quickly but i keep my condo around 74-75 so hopefully that will help keep the temp as low as possible... What set up do you have? Biocube?
I have a 180 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. So my uv sterilizer and the pump for it produces significant heat. I keep my house at 68. Do you have any powerheads in the tank? I'd add one if you don't. Just something small like a koralia nano or something.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah i have a generic 320gph PH in there under the outlet to add mid to low level flow... Here is a pic of the tank...

Name:	image-1520715630.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	186562

Look ok?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Yeah i have a generic 320gph PH in there under the outlet to add mid to low level flow... Here is a pic of the tank...

Look ok?
Yeah looks good. Are you doing a bare bottom?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com