3rd week of cycle and no signs of life but damsels alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heerism

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gallon acrylic tank with 2 damsels, and a 5lb. liverock. Its my 3rd week and I was expecting to have algae grwoing at least somewhere but there are on signs of anything. The fish have been alive for 2 weeks and are doing well. Is my cycle screwed up or what, thanks?

Have you been monitoring your levels? What are they now?

Best guess from info provided, with only 2 damsels and 5 lbs of LR you still have several weeks to go on the cycle (maybe 4). My 150 didnt get brown algea bloom till almost 6 weeks into the cycle and I used 48 mollies (which I wouldnt do again).

My 20 gal has 25 lbs LR and had brown algea in 2 days.

Check your trites and ammonia levels, that should tell you where you are in the cycle.

HTH

As has been suggested the only way to know how the cycle is progressing is to monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels thruout the process. As the cycle begins the ammonia levels will start to climb. As they begin to peak the nitrite will begin to climb. Over time the ammonia will drop back to undetecable levels and the nitrite will peak and begin a decline aswell. Onliy once both ammonia and nitrite test 0.00 is the cycle complete.

Back
Top Bottom