Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to heerism
3rd week of cycle and no signs of life but damsels alive

I have a 40 gallon acrylic tank with 2 damsels, and a 5lb. liverock. Its my 3rd week and I was expecting to have algae grwoing at least somewhere but there are on signs of anything. The fish have been alive for 2 weeks and are doing well. Is my cycle screwed up or what, thanks?

Old 06-03-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you been monitoring your levels? What are they now?

Old 06-03-2004, 07:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Best guess from info provided, with only 2 damsels and 5 lbs of LR you still have several weeks to go on the cycle (maybe 4). My 150 didnt get brown algea bloom till almost 6 weeks into the cycle and I used 48 mollies (which I wouldnt do again).

My 20 gal has 25 lbs LR and had brown algea in 2 days.

Check your trites and ammonia levels, that should tell you where you are in the cycle.

HTH
Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
As has been suggested the only way to know how the cycle is progressing is to monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels thruout the process. As the cycle begins the ammonia levels will start to climb. As they begin to peak the nitrite will begin to climb. Over time the ammonia will drop back to undetecable levels and the nitrite will peak and begin a decline aswell. Onliy once both ammonia and nitrite test 0.00 is the cycle complete.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Or buy 35 pounds more live rock !
My 55 cycled in 2 days...

Tags
cycle, damsel, damsels, live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com