Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok will do Ty phranque . Will keep updating with more results.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

alright,,,
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites =0
Nitrates 20 ppm
PH about 8-8.2

So my next question is, my nitrates are only 20 ppm.. I thought they would be a bit higher after my Nitrites reached 0.. I still have a little bit of decaying shrimp left in my tank (i guess it wont hurt to keep it in there for now?)

Should i get some ammonia and dose to 4ppm to make sure everything is good?

I haven't done a water change at all yet either, I was going to when i made sure my cycle was over..

let me know what ya think

Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fantastic!! I'd leave the remainder of the shrimp in for another couple days & keep testing daily...... verify that the ammo & nitrites are holding at 0, and the nitrates are continuing to climb, then do your water change & you are good to go.

You going FOWLR or reef?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

fowlr for now.. I may go reef in the future but im in no hurry. wanna just get my feet wet with fish only for now.. Ive had tanks years ago and all this stuff is coming back to me slowly. this is my first time doing the fishless cycle..

My concern was , i didn't want to have no ammonia source or to small of a source in there and have to start my cycle over again but i do have a little bit of shrimp in there now still decaying and from what you are saying that should be enough..

I guess i better start thinking about what fish i want.. .. I know im kinda restricted being its a 65G tank.. and not sure if i want aggressive or not. I know what im doing the next couple days..lol
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickkyBobby
fowlr for now.. I may go reef in the future but im in no hurry. wanna just get my feet wet with fish only for now.. Ive had tanks years ago and all this stuff is coming back to me slowly. this is my first time doing the fishless cycle..

My concern was , i didn't want to have no ammonia source or to small of a source in there and have to start my cycle over again but i do have a little bit of shrimp in there now still decaying and from what you are saying that should be enough..

I guess i better start thinking about what fish i want.. .. I know im kinda restricted being its a 65G tank.. and not sure if i want aggressive or not. I know what im doing the next couple days..lol
May I suggest a foxface??!! Super cool fish! And they work for aggressive and community tanks!!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

i like your thinking beengirl.. i was looking at them.. I think ill start out with a clown fish of some sort first (i always liked them).. Then ill go for the Foxface second..

when should i add a CUC? Theres really no algae in the tank right now. What kind of CUC? I assume my LFS would have some? Ive seen some websites selling them too..
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like astrea snails, banded trochus snails, conch, scarlet reef hermits, and zebra hermits. Your LFS should have most, if not all, of those. You can add some now, they eat microscopic algae that we can't see.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
I like astrea snails, banded trochus snails, conch, scarlet reef hermits, and zebra hermits. Your LFS should have most, if not all, of those. You can add some now, they eat microscopic algae that we can't see.
Ok great.. ty for the input on the CuC..
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was wondering if I should throw in another shrimp just until I'm ready to do my water change. There isn't much left of the 2 shrimp I put in there at the beginning of the cycle. . If all my levels are still ok by Friday I'm going to do a water change then go get a fish. Ammonia and nitrites right now are 0 . Nitrates are about 20. I'm just thinking about keeping an ammonia source going until water change on Friday if parameters are still ok because there isn't much shrimp left in there right now. .
Old 11-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you're going to do it on Friday, then you're fine.... no need for extra shrimp. If you were going to be waiting a couple/few weeks, then yes, you'd want to maintain an ammo source........

Tags
cycle, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com