Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

4 days into lr cycle in new tank, ammonia up, now what?

OK I think this is normal..but just not sure if I should change water ornot..seems to be different opinions. I have a 4 day old tank now with new LR from liverocks.com. No fish in the tank yet, must the hitchhikers from the LR.

Salinity 1.021
Ammonia 4.0 ppm (was 1.0)
Nitrite 0.5 ppm
pH 8.0
Nitrate 10 ppm

Should I do a 20% water change to keep the ammonia down, or allow it to go up a bit more to "force" the cycle?? With my life in the tank die rapidly with ammonia levels this high?
Thanks!

Old 05-02-2004, 12:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
When I cycled, I let mine go its own course. IMO it would be premature to do a water change, may interrupt the cycle.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
If you have lots of hitchhikers, doing a water change may help keep them alive. It could also mean more time for the tank to cycle, but patience is a virtue
Old 05-02-2004, 02:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I have not done a water change yet in my tank from my "cycle"...
I know I should, but it's all going too smooth !
I'd leave it !
4 hours after my rock and water was in the tank, I put in 6 Chromis !
Old 05-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

How high did your ammonia spike get before going back down? I'm just wondering if there is some "threshold" (i.e, it is above 5 ppm then do a water change otherwise let it run it's course)...
Old 05-02-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I don't know !
I was told let it go for 3 days so I didn't test till day for and then there was none...
Old 05-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water Change

There is no doubt that the ammonia level will eventually subside and the tank will complete the cycle regardless of whether you change water out or not.

The only variable is how high the ammonia will spike before the bacteria multiply enough to deal with it. High ammonia = death for tank participants...

..so my vote is to make water changes to prevent the ammonia from spiking too high. You give your life the best chance of survival. You can't stop the cycle no matter what you do.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:38 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

was your LR already cured FireFighter (as in purchased from a LFS)? if so, that could be why you never saw an ammonia spike and I would just caution that you use a slow growth approach for adding new critters to your tank until your sand bed has had a chance to catch up on the bacteria on the LR.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I did another reading today, thinking that if my ammonia was at 5 ppm or more I'd do a partial water change. I've had ls and saltwater in my tank for about 10 days, and live rock for about 5 days, when I started taking my measurements. By the way my lr was from liverocks.com, I put it right in my tank when it arrived.

Current parameters:

Nitrite 2.0 ppm (down from 5)
Ammonia 0.5 ppm (down from 4)
pH 7.8 (Not sure why this started at 8.2 but dropped to 7.8 after putting in LR and has been stuck there since).
Nitrate is shooting up to 40 ppm (was at 20 ppm).

Is it normal for the ammonia to go down so fast in just one day?

And now one more question - I am now thinking I should have added more LR and some more LS...I know a little after the fact..but can I safely add more LR to this setup during the current cycle, or wait till this all subsides then add more LR?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I did another reading today, thinking that if my ammonia was at 5 ppm or more I'd do a partial water change. I've had ls and saltwater in my tank for about 10 days, and live rock for about 5 days, when I started taking my measurements. By the way my lr was from liverocks.com, I put it right in my tank when it arrived.

Current parameters:

Nitrite 2.0 ppm (down from 5)
Ammonia 0.5 ppm (down from 4)
pH 7.8 (Not sure why this started at 8.2 but dropped to 7.8 after putting in LR and has been stuck there since).
Nitrate is shooting up to 40 ppm (was at 20 ppm).

Is it normal for the ammonia to go down so fast in just one day?

And now one more question - I am now thinking I should have added more LR and some more LS...I know a little after the fact..but can I safely add more LR to this setup during the current cycle, or wait till this all subsides then add more LR?

Tags
ammonia, cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com