4 months and thanks to all.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just an update:

Tank up for 4 months and only 2 problems. Lost a Lawnmower Blenny for unknown reasons (2 week in tank) and lost an unknown anemone that my wife bought when I was gone for 3 days. It lasted about a week.

Here's what I'm happy about...my tank param have been super stable. I check every 5 days and keep a running log. 0 on ammonia and nitrites. 1-2ppm nitrates on average. ph is 8.0-8.2. SG is 1.024.

I did have a short lived red slime prob for 2 weeks. No cyno except during cycle. Had a 1" spot of hair algae that was killed by the hermits. I have some bubble algae and some Aptasia I'm dealing with. Coraline is growing everywhere.

Here's my critters:
2 Sebae clowns
2 Firefish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Pistol Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Pep. Shrimp
1 Lg. Black Brittle Star and a bunch of small ones (all came w/LR)
1 Orange Linkia Star
1 H. Crispa Anemone (doubled in size)
1 Condy anemone (going back to the LFS soon, attacked my other anemone).
2 Hawaiian Feather Dusters and many small ones
And the obligatory bunch of snails/hermits.

Corals:
Tons of mushrooms - red, purplish/blue, green-stripe
Yellow finger Gorg. - already fragged it
Green Star Polyps
Flowerpot coral (stokesi) - also going back to LFS, bad impulse buy.
Single Zoo polyp (hitchhiker)

4-6" DSB with around 65lbs of LR. CPR Bakpak 2 skimmer and a Penquin 400 HOB for flow and carbon.

I just feel extremely lucky so far. I never got the equipment to setup a QT until 1 1/2 ago so only the Goby was QT'd. I don't plan on adding anymore fish as I'm already overstocked or close to it. I plan on adding many more corals however.

I want to start testing for Kh and Cal so I can dose if need be. My next purchase is going to be (wallet willing) a RO/DI unit. Yes, still using tap.

I would like to attribute my success to this site. Without you guys I would still be listening to the LFS people and probably would have lost much more than I have and had many more problems. So, I would like to thank everyone who has answered my many questions either directly or through other posts.

Mike B.
Fireman

P.S. And a special thanks to Steve-s for calming my nerves when I was forced into taking the Sebea anemone from my neighbor.

Until you get that RO/DI unit, you might wanna consider using distilled water. From what I understand, the phosphates in your tap water could add to nusiance algea problems.

Sounds like you're having a ball! Congrats.

And yes, this site is awesome.

yeah i have used disstilled it works a little bit but try and get an OR asap because there awesome. Sounds cool (the tank)

Thanks your favortie newb Salty!!!

Working to save up the money for the RO as we speak. I work 24hr shifts every other day and I'm work some O/T to get the money...I've worked 2 shifts of O/T this week....that's right....I'll be at work for 5 DAYS straight. In the past 2 weeks I have been home 2 days. Getting burned out. The things I do for my fish....geeesh. :? :roll:

Back
Top Bottom