Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anybody know if there's any group buys coming up? I have a lot of equipment to buy in the next couple months

Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #32
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

The glass-holes 700gph works great on a 40b with a mag 7 return. My setup used a bubble magus nac 3 (fort also uses this skimmer). I was happy with mine, and to my knowledge, he's been pleased with his as well.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
The glass-holes 700gph works great on a 40b with a mag 7 return. My setup used a bubble magus nac 3 (fort also uses this skimmer). I was happy with mine, and to my knowledge, he's been pleased with his as well.
What do you think would be better, the bubble magus or reef octopus nwb110? They're both about the same price and have good reviews
Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #34
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well, I've never used an octopus... but they seem to have a very good track record. If you can get them for about the same price, I'd probably go for the octopus simply because they're more popular and probably easier to sell if you ever get out (like I did), or upgrade.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok sounds like I'll go with the octopus. So far for equipment im thinking 6 bulb t5 lights (still open for suggestions), vortech mp10, reef octopus nwb 110, mag 5 or 7 return, and a good controller (also need suggestions).What size heaters should i have?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #36
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Definitely go with a mag 7 and plumb in a ball valve above it... though you'll likely not need it. As far as fixtures go, look in to LED. reefbreeders.com has a nice dimmable unit that would allow you to keep anything you want, all for about $200. I ran fishneedit T5HO's over mine, but considered switching over to LED shortly before deciding to get out of the hobby.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok mag 7 and ball valve it is. I've been looking into LEDs a little but not quite sure yet. I'll have to check that link out. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I looked at that site and the only dimmable one i found for a 40 was over $400
Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Would the 1500 be okay on a 90 gallon long with a quite one 1657 or something like that for the return? Or would a 3000 from glass holes and a mag 18 be a better option ? Im about to drill my 90 first time drilling. Sorry to steal the spotlight but drookie seems to have some knowledge im looking for. Pm me if possible! Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim

Would the 1500 be okay on a 90 gallon long with a quite one 1657 or something like that for the return? Or would a 3000 from glass holes and a mag 18 be a better option ? Im about to drill my 90 first time drilling. Sorry to steal the spotlight but drookie seems to have some knowledge im looking for. Pm me if possible! Thanks!
No worries!

Tags
breed, breeder, build, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com