40 breeder build! +pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So this will be a 40 breeder mixed reef with 20L fuge/sump. This is my second reef tank and my first was a 24g nanocube, so i'm going to need a lot of help with equipment and set up. If any of you experienced reef keepers want to sub this it'd be much appreciated! (y) I'll be accumulating equipment and everything over time until i get everything just right. Right now I'm working on the stand. Soon I'll buy the tanks, build the sump/fuge, and paint and drill the display. I'll have some pics in a minute

I started the sand today and got the frame all finished.

Attachments

• IMG176.jpg
    IMG176.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG178.jpg
    IMG178.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG180.jpg
    IMG180.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG181.jpg
    IMG181.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 92
Nice! I have a 40 breeder and I might make a stand like that myself since mine is just chillin on an old table lol. Keep us posted.

Not to bust your bubble
that stand I don't think it will hold strong
the reason I say this you did not inter-weave the studs
those brackets could come loose and I don't see any structural support , I would hate to see your tank crash to the floor
here is a pict of mine see how the studs are inter-weaved
the way yours is I would be afraid it may fail cause theires no structural support

Attachments

• 40breeder 002.jpg
    40breeder 002.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 40breeder 003.jpg
    40breeder 003.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 121
Maybe you can't see in the pictures but it is also held together by 2 4" nails in each stud. The brackets were mostly just to hold the legs on while i hammered. But I appreciate your concern

I wouldn't like to see your tank under a full load
tank weighs about 20 lbs
add
240lbs full of water
add
another 30+ lbs for sand
add
another 60+ lbs for rock

thats 350+ lbs it has to support

I can see it falling to one side or the other
<--->
if you understand what I'm trying to say

see I have studs going in two directions yours don't
thats structural to keep it from toppling over
I hate to see you having a big mess

I get what your trying to say but the nails hold it plenty good. I'm actually following another diagram i found on a different forum where it worked great. Plus me and my brother twisted it and stood on it and moved as much as we could and it wasn't close to budging

Oh sorry i forgot to mention, all the nails holding the top and bottom on the legs are 5 1/2" the rest are 4" so they penetrate plenty far into the legs

nails bend lean on one side does it move? I mean really lean on it
nails don't make it structural
it's like building a house it needs to be able to hold a load
hate to see it stand one min

l l than go like this / / another than ____ the next
see what I'm saying

just understand I don't want to sound like a ball buster
I'm just concerned it will topple over
big mess lots of lost $$ and time ect
if it wobbles in the least it wont hold for long
those brackets wont do anything for structural support you do know that right

We held it on a corner and pushed and it didn't budge, it really is stronger then you think. I'll try to get a picture

No i appreciate your concern, thats why I'm on here. I just think if you saw and messed with it in person you'd understand.

yes you used 5 1/2 inch nails I understand that but do you realize driving a nail up into a 2x4 how it actually weakens the board it will split and crash over time it will not hold the weight
Ive been there done that

Here is a picture of me putting all my weight on it diagonally. The other guy is balancing it for me

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130310_224315.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130310_224315.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 112
I hope its strong enough , wow thats a bit more than I meant by lean on it ,but hey if it works
good luck

I'm not trying to be the guy that asks for advice then doesn't take it but I'm confident about this. I'd gladly take your word for any input or advice on the tank itself when its ready though!

Back
Top Bottom