40 gal start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daverd08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I just got a 40 gallon thank. And I'm looking to make it reef safe tank. It has the lights that came with it. Will I need a sump? I have a 30gal. Will that work as a sump. This will be my second tank. The first wasn't reef safe though. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanx!

daverd08 said:
hey everyone! I just got a 40 gallon thank. And i'm looking to make it reef safe tank. It has the lights that came with it. Will i need a sump? I have a 30gal. Will that work as a sump. This will be my second tank. The first wasn't reef safe though. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanx!

image-3847117945.jpg

image-227609248.jpg

image-1841374352.jpg

Sorry, as you have a tank that is thoroughly suitable as a sump I'd definitely suggest you did, although sumps aren't a necessity, they do make life a lot easier, even if it's just for hiding all that unsightly equipment and the extra water volume.

Daverd08 said:
Hey everyone! I just got a 40 gallon thank. And I'm looking to make it reef safe tank. It has the lights that came with it. Will I need a sump? I have a 30gal. Will that work as a sump. This will be my second tank. The first wasn't reef safe though. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanx!

Not sure what you mean your last tank wasnt reef safe, if you could clarify. Never seen the term used in such a way so wanna clarify what exactly you mean.

non reef safe tanks hold livestock that might eat or damage the corals.

Russ_gibbo1985 said:
I'm assuming from the post he meant his lighting and stocking.

Exactly why u wished for him to clarify. Not on the same page. Not reef safe could mean a number of things.

@ schism by not reef safe, I mean I don't have suitable lighting. And the chocolate chip starfish will eat on a reef.

Daverd08 said:
I don't know what kind of lighting to get for it tho. Or if I can put reef safe bulbs.

Yes a chocolate chip is nof reef safe. But as for lighting it depends what you want to keep. Nearly all lighting is "reef capable" in some way.

How much do you have to buy lighting, softies, lps, or sps? Clams? Nems?

Definitely sell the starfish tho. There are a few reef safe starfish if you want one.

Back
Top Bottom