Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I understand what you're saying about the sump. This tank is in my office and although I've got room to put in a sump, I don't want to add extra furniture. I have been toying with some different ideas about furniture arrangements and things so that may be a possibility. If I do one I'll get a CPR overflow, I'm not ready to start drilling glass just yet.

My 10g has a thin sand bed and I definitely like the look, I scuba dive and no sand is just weird looking to me. Are there a lot of negatives to doing a deep sand bed? I'd like to get at the least the bottom decided on before I start, will make things much easier.

As far as doing an auto top off, I don't have RO/DI system and don't know how I do that. I've seen some pretty cool set-ups but off the top of my head have no idea how set one of those up.

I'm guessing with the HOB Filter something moving upwards of 350GPH would be sufficient and then add in the PH's. I currently have an Aqueon 75 on my 10g. It's adjustable and max's out at 300GPH. Plus I've got 2 Koralia Nano's (240) and those alternate. 1 on during the day and then off at night when the other turns off. Kinda like a tidal flow, but without the slack tide.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The deep sand bed has some kind of problem. I cant really remember. I think there some issues due to inability to clean it and every decade (approximately) they need to be replaced. Deep sand bed also take up a lot of water volume. 40g might be big for beginners, but it will easily fill up really fast.

Ro/di unit is easy to set up. Mine hooks directly to the faucet and can be unhooked. People make their own permanent ro/di station. If you look up bulkreefsupply, then you will find how easy it is to hook up their ro/di unit with the faucet and unhook when storing the unit. Many units have the same option.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I put on a protein skimmer, do I still need to use a HOB Filter?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hob filter is mainly for mechanical filtration. People also use it for carbon and other media.

I do not think you need it. if your looks dirty, then hook it up to tank. Skimmer serves another function, so having a hob filter does not factor into use of skimmer or vice versa.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like using it for flow as well. I was looking into the controllers, are they basically really fancy timers? I was looking at the ReefKeeper Lite basic. Also, I'm gonna go with the RefOct BH 300. I'm still not sure about the HOB Refugium. Also, read up on the DSB vs SSB and will go with SSB. I'm almost ready to start buying stuff and my radiator explodes! bummer...

Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Life gets in the way of this hobby sometimes :p

Yes controllers are basically an improved version of a timer that lets your have more control of your tank. Temperature control - such as if the heater is stuck on the "on" mode, then your heater will turn off. pH control - it lets you know if there are pH fluctuations (pH needs to be stable for a great coral growth). Those are the two things I like. I does a lot more when I read about it, but I don't really care about all the other functions. Reefkeeper basic is a good start. If you stay in the hobby in the long haul, then you'd probably get a Apex as the next controller
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I picked up a HOB 300 gph and two SunSun Wavemakers 1585 GPH, $50. I couldn't pass that up. Also, considering a Hydor in-tank skimmer. Have you heard of it? Thoughts? I'm also going to add some plastic diffuser from lights in the bottom, I don't want any rocks falling through the glass...

Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope never heard of a hob hydor skimmer. You probably know more about it than i do, both good and bad things about it.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's an in tank skimmer and I found it for $70.00 off retail so I ordered it. I guess I'll find out if it's worth a s**t. Got the diffuser so just got to cut and fit. Almost ready, gotta wait to get sand and rock though. I'm starting to get that 5 year old feeling again!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know the feeling. I got my order from BulkReefSupply yesterday. Got 20lbs of Fiji Pink Sands and 20lbs of Reef Saver Rock. Let me know when your skimmer comes in.

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com