Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

40 Gallon Breeder

Right now it's just an empty glass box. I haven't even taken the rattle can to it yet. I'd love some ideas about equipment and other such things. let me know what you think. Oh and it will be a reef.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

you want sump or no sump?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm thinking no sump, maybe the ReefOctopus 300 for skimmmer.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok reef octopus skimmer hob skimmer is fine. I have the BH2000 model. It works great. Read about each model to find the one you like best, and read the reviews by other hobbyist so that you know the pros and cons.

What do you want for lighting? Would you like HOB refugium?

Feel free to jump into the thread people...
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard the RO 300 is good. I know Mr. X approves. I've never heard of HOB Refiugum, details? As for the lights Ive got a Tao dimmable and was thinking about using the same light (getting 1 or 2 of the same).

Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

HOB refugium helps take out waste out of your system by growing macroalgae such as chaeto.

When setting up your electrical stuff, always use GFCI protection. Then use surge protection to protect your investment. Also consider grounding probe. A quick google search will help you understand the functions of these 3 things.

Then consider a consider a controller. I use it mostly for heat protection - if my heater is every stuck in the "on" position, then a controller will shut off the heater. Reefkeeper is the common affordable kind, but you can look up more expensive if you would like.

What would you like for circulation pump? Basic pumps like Koralia or exotic MP10s? Or perhaps the quiet Tunze. All great pumps and has their pros and cons. Google will help you find the answers you're looking for.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
HOB refugium helps take out waste out of your system by growing macroalgae such as chaeto.

When setting up your electrical stuff, always use GFCI protection. Then use surge protection to protect your investment. Also consider grounding probe. A quick google search will help you understand the functions of these 3 things.

Then consider a consider a controller. I use it mostly for heat protection - if my heater is every stuck in the "on" position, then a controller will shut off the heater. Reefkeeper is the common affordable kind, but you can look up more expensive if you would like.

What would you like for circulation pump? Basic pumps like Koralia or exotic MP10s? Or perhaps the quiet Tunze. All great pumps and has their pros and cons. Google will help you find the answers you're looking for.
I was thinking about using Surge protectors with Timers built in. I've heard people mention controllers in reference to their power heads are you referring to the same thing? I like the Koralia's, especially their fastening system, I'd probably look at those again but am undecided. I'll google the HOB Refuigum, I know what they're for just not the specs on the HOB version.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look up CPR refugium, the largest being 25" long.

Controllers help control powerheads, but they also have much more functions. Read the full job description of a reefkeeper and an Apex controller. Read about what it has done for people in this hobby.

What do you mean by fastening system for the Koralia?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fastening system, I meant how it attaches, I like the magnet built into the suction cup. It's double security, but I don't think the magnet will ever fail. Your thoughts on the sand bed, and type of filter?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will have to decide whether you want a deep sand bed where you dont disturb it and life will grow in it. Or no sand bed / bare bottom (easy cleaning). Or thin sand bed - looks better than bare bottom and purely for looks without the effects of life in the bed. I like bare bottom or thin layer of sand best.

For filtration, you can have live/base rocks for biological. Then you can do water changes or get a simple hob filter for mechanical filtration. Then you can decide for chemical filtration if yiu want them - carbon, gfo, etc. Those media can be set in the hob filter for better effects. Look on reefing seller website to see what is available in the market and research the pro/con/altrrnative before making a decision to buy.

An auto top off system will also benefit you. Stability is a key factor that will help coral growth.

I can show you a pic of my old system later today. The rim of the tank was cluttered and it did not look nice after adding all these equipment. Maybe you will change your mind like I did about using a sump or not.

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com