40 gallon breeder help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StartingInUtah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new tank setup. It is a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon sump. It is all cycled and has had an ocellaris clownfish pair in it and some palys in it as well for about a month now. It is doing really well and I am getting ready to add more fish. These are the fish we are looking to add (I know I cannot add them all and will have to pair down the list). I am not sure how many fish I can have in this tank and am getting conflicting advice. Please help me with this. I am looking for some advice on what fish to keep on this list and what to drop. The clownfish are in there as I rescued them from another tank. I am now looking to add a firefish, a bengaii cardinal, a royal gramma, a tellowtail damsel, a green or citron goby, and a coral beauty angel (again, not the full list, still trying to figure out my stocklist). I will add them very slowly to be sure everything is going well before anything else is added. This list is definitely not final and I am happy to drop anything off and/or add other options if you have any ideas.

Also, I have been getting my RO/DI water from a local fish store but want to start doing it myself. Does anyone have any idea of a low-cost system that works well?

One more thing, I have been in the hobby for a while but never with a tank this small. This is why I am looking for help.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
I would drop the damsel as they can get nasty , when stocking a tank it is best to know what fish would work in that size tank. Live aquara can help you there , banjii cardinals are nice fish and do better in pairs but they are boring as they stay in 1 spot something to consider , coral beauty would work because of the foot print of tank but usually goes in a 70g . but all else would work just stay away from damsel , Ideal number of fish would be 6 don't look at fish as they are small consider them as full grown size , this will help keep you from over stocking

I agree with seaweed, forget the damsel, they are mean!
everything else you listed would do fine in there.(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom