40 gallon breeder SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK thanks,so I should buy the fish in that order and the jawfish and possum wrasse should cycle the tank?And can you get live rock but not use coral or that kind of stuff on the LR?

Thanks

I would add in the order I gave, but I would not cycle your tank using fish. If you do not have live rock yet you can purchase uncured live rock or use a raw cocktail/gulf shrimp and allow it to sit in the tank overnight. You do not want to add any fish until your cycle is complete. You can have coral if you have enough water flow and lighting, but not until you have cycled first and foremost.

Have you already set up this tank or just in the planning stages? Just curious :) Uncured live rock will cycle your tank if you haven't already set the tank up/purchased live rock; otherwise, a raw cocktail/gulf shrimp is a cheap alternative to start the cycle. Usually a cycle lasts no more than 2-3 wks. Once the cycle has completed you can begin to add fish slowly, perhaps 1 or a pair (such as clownfish) every 3 wks.

Ok, just in the planning stages right now.And I read that it could take up to 8 wks!Also the book said to use some sort of grouper to cycle a tank!So that means that I could add the jawfish and the possum wrasse at the same time then 3 wks later 2 clowns etc

Why do I get the feeling your book is grossly outdated? Using animals to cycle a tank is cruel because as the ammonia begins to gain strength it burns the gills and other sensitive organs within the animal. Don't use fish to cycle a tank. If it takes 8wks to cycle a tank you did it wrong. It shouldn't take more than 2-3wks.

Ok the book is copyrighted 2009 and it is called "ask the fish keeper" by Marc Marrone, all with that idea!Also what is the minimum age you can keep a SW fish tank? 17 yrs+ or something just wondering.

Thanks

Minimum age?...I'll assume you mean how long can an aquarium be kept without crashing? Probably over 17yrs if you take good care of it....dunno on actual figures.

No actually I mean what is the min. age of a person!But thanks for the heads up on how long it can be going for!

there really is no minimum age for aquariums in general... several of the people on here are young, one is 12, one is 15 and super smart... it really just depends on the maturity level of the individual... sw requires more attention, so of course it has to be somebody dedicated to their tank and fish... just because somebody is 30 doesnt mean they can successfully keep up a fish tank

Your book is indeed published in 2009, but you would be better served by purchasing a "real" aquarium book by an actual researcher rather than Martha Stewart's animal/pet keeper. Perform a Search on this forum and I'm sure there are quite a few books available to novices that will help you further.

thanks guys, that really helped a lot and could I cut the pj cardinals?and I 'm thinking instead of a 40 gallon breeder something a little bigger.

Thanks

Fishboy, It seems that you are at a very young age. Please be informed that a reef setup can be very expensive. Make sure that your parents are on board and that they know what you are about to get into. I am not trying to discurage you but the fact is your parents will more then likely be footing the bill for this tank.

Oh ya,figured it out eh...How may I ask,did you find that out?Only 13 and my dad had the idea of a FOWLR tank in the dining room and he said I could have the choice of fish and everything but the fish and live rock I have to pay for.

I think I'll take out the pj cardinals.

there really is no minimum age for aquariums in general... several of the people on here are young, one is 12, one is 15 and super smart... it really just depends on the maturity level of the individual... sw requires more attention, so of course it has to be somebody dedicated to their tank and fish... just because somebody is 30 doesnt mean they can successfully keep up a fish tank

Aw, am i the super smart 15 year old? And if im not, I dont like you as much.

Aside, get base rock and a few pieces of live rock for the tank. Saves a TON of money. In the article section their are many helpful saltwater write ups. One of these is of fishless cycling. Aslong as you have a few minutes a day to take care of the tank, you can keep the tank happy and healthy.

Have you checked out the local craigslist for used aquarium setups? At this day and age, you could pay less than half for the equipment. Also try to join a local reef club. They may have fish and equipment for sale at low prices. You may also discover fish stores close by that are very highly rated.

you actually are... you and thom both... wasnt sure if you were both 15 or 16 though... needless to say, age isnt a consideration... you both know more than alot of people twice your age :)

thanks mfd who is the 12 year old then?And what is MTS?Also at my LFS live rock is 7$/pound,don't know if that is cheap or not.

I went to my lfs and the guy said that a 75 gallon is needed for those fish and also that the possum wrasse rarely shows up(and when it does it's gone in a blink)so he said a six-line wrasse would work instead.

Mts is multi tank syndrome. Fish forum term.

Onto the rock, $7/Lb is average for a LFS. You can get a few pounds of it and the rest dry rock which will become live. Marco Rocks is a very high rated seller of dry rock. It will become live in a few months with all the life on the few pounds you bought live.
Well, since you made the decision to not get the cardinals, I see no reason why those 5 fish wouldn't be ok in a 40G tank.

well mts is multiple tank syndrome... its kind of a joke lol. dont remember the name of the 12 year old though. $7lb is pretty expensive for rock, its $3.75lb at mine. you can order it alot cheaper online, and you can use base rock for part of it as well to save extra money... marco rocks seem to be popular for that

75g is a good size tank, but those would have been fine in a 40g regardless. If you can afford the 75g then get it :) For rock I would purchase Fiji Premium uncured. I rather pay more for nice rock from the start than base rock. Six lines may be overly aggressive as they age, which wouldn't be good with the jawfish, gramma, or if you decide on a firefish.

Back
Top Bottom