40 gallon breeder SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy444

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering if I could put 2 common clownfish,1 purplefirefish or regular firefish,1 royal gramma and 1 domino damsel fish all in a 40 gallon breeder.:eek:

My concern would be that the domino and royal gramma would get too mean. The clowns must be a mated pair.

And that means that the royal gramma won't be able to on in there unless the clowns are mated?Also what other fish could I have?Could it include royal grammas.And last thing the firefish are good right?

I don't know...I'm new to SW so I have no clue...I think fowlr.So if I have a mated pair of common clowns and an anemone I can put in the royal gramma and the damselfish.Or would I have to get a bigger tank.Is the purple firefish or the fire goby better.Also could I fit a jawfish in there??

Wait on the anemone. It needs a more stable tank. If you get it to early it will just die. The best thing for a newbie is to do your research. Clowns don't need an anemone to servive. If you get two clowns get one that is much larger then the other. the larger one will become a female. also get only one royal gramma and then do the research on the other fish and add them slowly.

Ya.Thanks so 1 royal gramma,2 clowns,? purple firefish,I don't know if I should keep a damselfish.If I could what species?And ?# of jawfish.

Reason I was asking about the type tank because if it`s going to be a non reef then a dwarf angel would go nicely. A coral beauty or a flame angel.

Oh ok.I don't know the difference but I want live rock.Also how many purple firefish?And could I get 3 yellowtail blue damselfish.Last thing how many pounds of live rock should I use?

Okay, Damsels are to territorial for a 30g tank. They would not only kill each other but a bunch of your other fish as well. A purple firefish will not get along with your Royal Gramma so one or the other.
You will need 1 1/2# of LR per gallon of your tank. If you add sand, just get the aragonite sand that looks good to you. LS is a waste of money. Your rockwork will seed the sand in short order.

So that means I could only put in 1 royal gramma,2 common clownfish and 1 yellowtail damsel fish in a 40 Gallon Breeder?And what does LS stand for and could I squeeze in a jawfish?

THANKS

You really aren't close to overstocking the tank so your fish list would be just fine. The damsel is one of the few "nicer" and less aggressive species, but may still nip here and there. Ever thought about a fairy wrasse, cardinals, anthias, hawkfish, etc? Lots to choose from :p

Oh, and LS stands for Live Sand which is a bag of sand with bacteria mixed into it. Usually it does not justify the cost unless you want that particular sand (not all types are sold in dry form).

OK thanks Innovator.I don't like hawkfish because there,I find hard to feed.never heard of anthias though.Cardinals are good,how many?I like the pajama kind.Suggestions would be nice!And I don't know if I should go reef or fowlr like Melosu58 said???

thanks

It is my personal opinion that most people who set up a sw tank eventually move towards a reef aquarium. I do enjoy corals, but if it is not your "thang" there is nothing wrong with that. If you do wish to keep corals or an anemone you will need to make sure you have good water flow and strong enough lighting, which is also more cost to you. Pajama cards are my favorite and in a 40g I'd go with 6.

As for a stocking list:

x1 yellowhead jawfish (most common)
x6 Pajama cardinals
x2 Clark's clownfish
x1 possum wrasse or mystery wrasse
x1 flame angelfish

That'd be a decent start and in order of stocking :) Of course, many other options unless your heart is set on specific fish ;)

My favorite SW fish is the royal gramma any room on there for 1,or would I have to take another fish out?Instead of the Clark's clownfish could I have 2 common clownfish like NEMO?I like the idea of the yellow headed jawfish,pj cardinals and the flame angelfish.

Thanks!

Sure, the "nemo's (ocellaris) would be fine. If you get a royal gramma I would either go with a possum wrasse or find another fish in place of it, perhaps 3-5 Sunburst anthias (behave like hawkfish, perching on rocks and upside down under ledges at times)...so maybe:

x1 yellowhead jawfish (most common)
x3-5 Sunburst anthia
x4 Pajama cardinals
x2 ocellaris "nemo" or percula clownfish
x1 royal gramma
x1 flame angelfish (if you feel you have adequate space when all said and done)

Last edited:
I think that is the best list so far...except that would a possum wrasse work instead of the sunburst anthias?And should I go for a fowlr or reef?

I can't answer whether you should have a reef or fowlr aquarium, that is personal taste. You should be ok with a possum wrasse in place of the anthias.

Thanks So the list should look like this(buying the fish in this order):

x1 yellowhed jawfish (most common)
x1 possum wrasse
x4 pajama cardinals
x2 ocellaris clowns (nemo)
x1 royal gramma
x1 flame angelfish
And all these fish are safe for the live rock part?And last thing how many inches of sand should be good for the jawfish?And do I need aeration?

The live rock will be fine. I'd use at least 2-3" of substrate for the jawfish. If you aren't using a coarse substrate then add rubble rock so it can feel more protected. Aeration? Powerheads and your regular filtration should provide enough.

Back
Top Bottom