40 Gallon ready for stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djalex23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Had my 40 gallon FOWLR set up for about two weeks. LFS just tested water and says everything is good and ready for some stock. I will probably wait one more week. SO just a few questions.

I know I should do weekly water changes (4 gallons) do I replace with salt water or RO/DI water?

Any fish ideas? I know I should add a few at a time and then wait before adding more, but how many fish in total is good for my tank size?

Any ideas on circulation pump as far as size and quantity?

Also what are the rules for adding live rock after the cycling process. This rock would come from LFS already cured.

Thanks. I know these are a lot of questions.

Derrick

Hi. Just setting up a tank for two weeks does not make it cycled unfortunately. You have good readings I would guess because it ISN'T cycled. lol

here is an article about the actual cycling process

Cycle your salt tank

Now to answer your questions :)

Weekly water changes of about 10-15% of your tanks volume with premixed salt water. You only use ro/di unsalted water for top offs.

If you have no circulation pumps yet I would suggest 2 550's or 2 750 Koralias. One on each end of the tank.

Adding any live rock AFTER a cycle or for a cycle will have some die off producing some ammonia. thats why it's a good idea to add all the live rock you can when you first cycle. :-D

if purchased AFTER there are living creatures in the tank it's a good idea to let the rock sit in another heated, water circulated tank or container. To avoid an ammonia spike.

Hope that helped a bit Derrick, if you have any questions just ask away.

Oh, as far as stocking it, that will depend on what you want in the tank. Predator tank, aggressive, peaceful- are you ever going to add coral is another question too as some fish are not coral friendly. Also are you running a tank with a glass lid or open top? With an open top you wanna steer clear of known jumping fish.

Thank you Carey. 2 750's that would not be too much. I was going to get one bc my LFS suggested the 550 would be good. As far as the tank I do have a glass lid and will go coral down the road. So Im thinking peaceful.

djalex23 said:
Thank you Carey. 2 750's that would not be too much. I was going to get one bc my LFS suggested the 550 would be good. As far as the tank I do have a glass lid and will go coral down the road. So Im thinking peaceful.

You could get Cardianalfish, Gobies, Dottybacks, Clownfish etc.!

Thanks for the imput. Doing research on the fish now and placing order on amazon for powerhead and saltwater test kit

I'm always on the high side as far as flow goes. lol As long as your fish arent being swept around your good. You want no dead spots anywhere in the tank where food and other nasties can settle. :)

And yep, peaceful fish include clowns, blennys and gobies.

Have a looksie at this site, it will list tank requirement size, diet and other information

Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

Back
Top Bottom