40 gallon reef help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am converting my 40 gallon long freshwater tank to saltwater and want a reef tank. Should I get a HOB filter or build a sump? Also would I need a protein skimmer? I am planning on getting 40lb of live rock and 40lb live sand. At the moment I have Arcadia F030 T8 lights (4500 kelvin) Are these OK for soft corals and polyps? Also if I have to build a sump what equipment would I need? I have a spare 10 gallon that I could use. Sorry for all the questions but don't want to get anything wrong! :lol:

If you have the option, sumps are better. Skimmers are a very good idea as well. If money is an issue, dry rock is way cheaper, and you can mix it up, anywhere from 100% dry rock, to 100% live rock. Those lights might be OK for those corals, but you will need to replace the bulbs (and every year at least after that), and try to get the coolest bulb possible (highest Kelvin rating, not funkiest).
Sump needs;
dividers (same stuff as sump. I.E. glass or acrylic) to seperate into 2 to 3 sections.
skimmer to fit sump
2 heaters (primary and backup set to 1-2 deg cooler so you notice when primary fails)
return pump
tank needs an overflow, either HOB or drilled tank.
dry rocks for added bacterial filtering (not critical, but it helps)
light (very important as the sump will export nitrates and phosphates)
macro algae and/or plants to work with the light.

Back
Top Bottom