40 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djalex23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I have learned a lot about the salty world. My tank has been cycling for a month almost. Ready for stock but have a few.questions. I have a aquaclear 110 20 lbs live rock 20 lbs base. How often should I change filter media? Just picked up a hydro korlia 750. Is this enough or do I need 2? Also where should it be placed? Stock questions any advantage or disadvantages going.peaceful or predator tank. Looking to go coral down the road maybe a year. I know this is a lot any help would be great.

ForumRunner_20111017_211758.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111017_211815.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111017_211815.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 95
That is a nice looking tank. :)

1. I would think the one filter will be sufficient. They say to clean them every couple of weeks or they become a nitrate factory. So far I have had no trouble with mine but I am looking to change over to a HOB overflow and a sump in the near future.
2. I like peaceful tanks myself. You also want to make sure that all the fish you select are reef safe if you are going to add corals down the road. In my 45 which is about 3.5 months old I went with a Kole Yellow Eye (I know I will need to upgrade the tank or find him a new home in a year or so), a pair of clowns, 6 line wrasse, 3 blue/green chromis, fire shrimp, 3 emerald crab and a CUC. I really like the mix of fish and the constant movement they give.
3. I think you will need another power head before you start adding coral though.

Keep the pictures coming. I want to see this come together. :)

I would change out the carbon in the filter every 2-4 weeks and I would also add another powerhead. :)

Tank looks pretty good btw, I like it.

Thank you for your help. I wil pick up another powerhead. BOLO for my stock list as I am researching now. Thanks for the suggestions.

I started looking at fish that I can have given my tank size. I do want a CUC. As far fish.I.like dwarf angels, blenny, cardinal, clowns, hawkfish. Any way yo narrow this list down.

Nice tank, I love SW! If you plan on adding coral down the road, I wouldn't go with a Dwarf Angel because he could potentially damage your corals. I think all of the other fish would work well. Hawkfish are notorious for eating shrimp though. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

great looking tank. i too would suggest a second 750. what where you thinking about lighting for your down the road corals.

im a fan of the flame angel. ive read in a few places that of all the dwarf angels the coral beauty is least likely to be a problem. banggai cardinals are awesome but i was once recommended a flame cardinal. you cant go wrong with clowns, maroon clowns are not recommended. flame hawks are great little fish. sorry im not sure about how shrimp friendly flames are but longnose will definitely go after them. i dont know much about blenny suggestions, look at the 2 spot or the starry though. very pretty.

I thought long and hard about the coral beauty verses the kole tang. Lots of people said they had coral beauties for several years with no nipping at corals and then one day the beauty decimated the entire tank. That is what made my mind up. I love my kole. The only reason I hesitated was because of the tank. I finally just accepted that within a year or so I would either have to get a bigger tank or find him a better home. But in the meantime, he is my favorite fish and the center piece of my tank. If you want to see him in action, go to the thread below and towards the end you can see a video and watch him swimming around the tank. He is a camera hog. LOL

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/my-45-gal-reef-build-first-timer-160373.html

Really tangs need to have zoom room they get stressed even when small in small tanks. Also tangs are more likely to get ich or lateral line disease in a small tank. My friend had the same idea I will get a tiny tang and get rid of it before it gets big. He put it in his 40 gallon tank then a few weeks later get pictures emailed to me the fish had lateral line disease. He gave the fish to someone and with a lot of proper care he is doing better but still is a little discolored.

I am glad you are doing your research before stocking your tank. I see a lot of people that don't at the LFS donating their fish back for resale,

Check out chalk bass. I think that is easily the most under rated saltwater fish. I got one and he is just awesome and beautiful colors

Attachments

• image-3402426623.jpg
    image-3402426623.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 114
hiltymj said:
Check out chalk bass. I think that is easily the most under rated saltwater fish. I got one and he is just awesome and beautiful colors

I've looked at them before. I like them. Never really considered one because lfs doesn't normally carry them. That would be a good fish.

Thanks everyone for all your help through this journey. I picked up two clowns and 6 snails and 6 hermit crabs. Think my next fish will be a flame angel or dottyback. What do u all think. Clowns are eating and doing pretty good. Also I want to pick up a cleaned shrimp of some sort.

ForumRunner_20111023_095827.jpg

Back
Top Bottom