Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to amphibianboy528
oh,sorry I did not know you could *fish-less* cycle your tank.I thought Bio-Spira would provide all the bacteria to start the tank.Also if they will put the fish through this death trap why do they allow it.This fish-less cycling is a pretty good idea,and fish should not really be allowed.Why does the law allow it,because it IMO is some sort of animal abuse.And my mollies,I have put them in my established marine tank.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:51 PM   #22
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphibianboy528
I thought Bio-Spira would provide all the bacteria to start the tank.
Shortcuts never yield positive results. Personally I always recommend you take the road of tried and true methods over fast and foolish. They will never lead you astray and teach you one of the most important values in marine keeping... patience

Quote:
Also if they will put the fish through this death trap why do they allow it.This fish-less cycling is a pretty good idea,and fish should not really be allowed.Why does the law allow it,because it IMO is some sort of animal abuse.
It comes down to one thing most of the time... $$$. Unfortunately the need to earn usually outweighs the needs of the animals that fall below the top of the food chain. Not that I am by any means affiliated with the likes of PETA nor am I a hypocrate but where we can go that extra step and not needlessly waste life, why not!

Quote:
And my mollies,I have put them in my established marine tank.
Kudos

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-12-2004, 06:02 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put the brakes on for a second and relax. Now that you got the tank setup, you need to give it some time to balance itself out before adding fish to it. Your tank may go through a small cycle during this process, even though the rock is cured. Glad to hear you got the Mollies out of there. You are going to need various test kits to track the tanks progress (you probably already have these). I think the marine Bio-Spira was a waste of money since you bought LR, but anyway... What do you have in that tank for water movement? Also, you will need to start adding a cleanup crew once the cycle is complete, then you can start looking at fish.

Only bad things happen quickly in this hobby

How did you manage to get 40 gallons of water home from the LFS?

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:49 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

well at the LFS you rent these five-gallon(i think) buckets and bring them home and give it back to them.Also what kind of clean-up crew do you mean.The only thing I have ever had that cleaned up stuff was a very large hermit and a lawnmower blenny.I have never used snails and such.Also I have decided not to use the tank for pipefishes.I would like to have atleast one mandarin goby.But I need to wait atleast six months right.So I need to have some suggestion of fish that will not affect the coeppod and amphipod population.And will not really be aggresive to the goby.Thanks Everybody!!!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 40 is not really large enough to produce enough pods to support a Mandarin Goby. Very few Mandarins will accept frozen foods and slowly die of starvation in a home aquarium. An established 75g tank with 100 pounds of LR (or more) makes a nice home for them.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:09 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Yeah I have the same problem amphibianboy. I have a 37 gallon system that is, unfortunately to small for a mandrin. Try maybe a brightly colored Goby like a watchman goby. those guys are very cute. as far as fish selection goes, look at Clowns, pigmy angels, and small wrasses and firefish.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:35 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

so what kind of tank-set up do you guys suggest.Also I'll edit the title so I can get more posts.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:00 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

are you interested in some of the more exotic looing fish? why not a dwarf Zebra Lion and an angler fish? That would look really awsome in a nice reef tank.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 12-13-2004, 08:09 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah cool I wanted a dwarf zebra before.They were cool fish as people said but I have never seen one on the market and I do not Intend to get one off the internet.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get your LFS to special order one for you. that way you can check it out before you buy it. If you don't want it, chances are someone else will.

Tags
40 gallon, set-up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com