Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2004, 09:44 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to amphibianboy528
so any special requirements on the zebra lionfish.I have never had any carnivourus fishes before and have no idea what to do.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:37 PM   #32
steve-s

The main concern with these types of fish is getting them to eat when first introduced. This often requires live foods (shrimp, fish ect..) but once the fish has adjusted it can and should be nudged over to dead foods. Much easier on you and ensures the lion gets a proper diet. Just be sure not to feed more than once or twice a week. One major downfall is overfeeding. It can often lead to digestive ailments which will kill the fish.

Once the fish is eating they are usually quite easy to keep otherwise.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-14-2004, 01:53 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I read an old article on my aquarium fish magazine and they said to feed gut packed ghost shrimp,damselfish,and mollies.Goldfish are bad feeders because of some chemical in their flesh that fattens the liver.And they can be fed raw fish and shrimp.But my concern is the filter bed mature enough to sustain a lionfish.I don't want the poor fish to suffer.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #34
steve-s

If you want to keep feeding live foods I would look more towards black mollies as a solution. They can be converted to SW easily enough and breed like rabbits. Once the tank and fuge are properly set up and cycled the mollies can be introduced to the fuge with some non caulerpa maco algaes. Once they are settled in and breeding, you can aquire the lion.

I would still suggest trying to wein the lion over to dead foods. Much easier in the long run. Just be sure you get a decent feeding stick for the task. No fingers 8O

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-14-2004, 07:06 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok thanks,also I have no idea how to breed mollies.do i need to give them a special breeding tank or they can go right in the fuge.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 PM   #36
steve-s

I would try and find some black mollies that are already SW converted. Easier on you in the long run and some LFS may have them. Once the tank/fuge are properly cycled, acclimate the mollies properly as you would any fish. The male/female pair will do the rest

Just be sure you have a decent amount of macro algae for the young to hide from the parents. The adult mollies will also chew on the macro as a food source. If you can put some LR rubble pieces here and there as it will offer additional places for the brood to grow unhindered.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

macro algea...hmmm...I don't have a light to the fuge.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #38
steve-s

Any cheap ($20.00) strip light will do for macros. They do not need special intense lighting. Just be sure the bulb output is either a 03 or preferabley 10,000k. Lower kelvins will promote nuisance algaes.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-16-2004, 02:06 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok,when do I add the macro algea to the fuge with some live rocks.Also can I put live sand in there too,or will it be too packed for the fish.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:04 AM   #40
steve-s

The sand and rock can be added at any time. Best to start from the beginning while the tank is cycling. I wouldn't bother with LS, just use typical dry aragonite. Depth is up to you but my choice would be no more than 2". As for the rock, I would choose smaller pieces that can be loosely stacked in small piles. It will leave enough gaps for baby mollies to hide as well as promoting higher pod populations.

Once the tank has fully cycled then acclimate the macro's the same you would an invert. Slow acclimation with macro's will typically mean less if any die off and it should start growing failry quickly. I would set the light schedule up so the fuge is on the reverse of the main. It will help keep the pH in both tanks balanced. Just be sure the macro gets pruned regularly to avoid heavy mass. If the light gets blocked to much near the bottom or detritus accumulates it can cause the algae to rot. Once the macros are showing signs of growth, add the mollies.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
40 gallon, set-up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com