40 Vs 40 Br

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlaborce9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know this may be a matter of opinion, but what do you think would be the best for starting a reef tank. Within the year I will be moving and wish to upgrade to a 40 gallon tank but am undecided on which to buy. There is the regular 40 gallon (48x13x16) and 40 breeder (36x18x16). Just wondering if it is better to go with depth or length?

If anyone has a 40 gallon reef tank, pics would be much appreciated to get some ideas.

Thanks!

length is better to go with, it gives the fish more usable swimming space then a taller tank. a shorter tank also allows you to place corals or anemones closer to the sand bed then in a taller tank.

why not upgradt to a larger tank 40 gallons is small for a SW aquarium

The option of depth or length is really up to what you want to do. If your going full reef, the breeder would be a great choice. The breeder will give you plenty of width to setup your aquascape and since it is more shallow, the lighting will penetrate deeper.

Now if your just going FOWLR, then the standard 40 long would be your best shot. It'll give your fish plenty of room to swim.

The breeder tanks give you a lot more options. They have a larger footprint that allows you to do tons more with your rock work. The 40 breeder is essentially a 75g that's a foot shorter. The 40 regular is pretty much a 55g that's not as deep. You see a lot of people regretting having a 55g because once you put in your rock, you have no room for anything else. In a 40b or a 75g, you have 18" from front to back, which gives you lots more swimming room for the fish.

i guess i should have worded that differently. they are both the same height but the 40 br is wider by 5 inches front to back. didn't know if having more room front to back would make for a more interesting layout for a reef. the only fish i plan on having are my 2 clowns that i would be moving because they will have outgrown their tank around that time.

i live in an apartment and will be going to another apartment and they have restrictions on larger tanks. believe me i would if i could.

Then I would definitely go with the breeder... but that's just my personal preference. I just bought one (for a planted tank, not that it matters) this past weekend and absolutely love the depth from front to back.

ha wow you guys are quick. i didnt realize you had responded before i made my last post. you pretty much answered my questions.

thanks!

I love my 40g breeder, a simple FOWLR setup in my living room. I originally wanted a 55, they ran out at that Petco $1 per gallon sale, but looking back I'm not that bummed anymore. Like mfdrookie516 said, the front to back depth is great. And after buying a 75 for freshwater the 55's front to back looks so thin IMO.

BREEDERRRRRRRR

they footprint(top-down view if you didnt know) is much nicer for a great reef setup, i would love one of those if i had the money

added for more cost effectiveness, the breeder is shorter and a light fixture would be cheaper

but yeah, BREEDERRR

The breeder tanks give you a lot more options. They have a larger footprint that allows you to do tons more with your rock work. The 40 breeder is essentially a 75g that's a foot shorter. The 40 regular is pretty much a 55g that's not as deep. You see a lot of people regretting having a 55g because once you put in your rock, you have no room for anything else. In a 40b or a 75g, you have 18" from front to back, which gives you lots more swimming room for the fish.

I'm one of them. I love my setup now, but I would love to have a larger footprint because I could have more options. My 55 fits the placement in my house perfectly though, so I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom