400 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canucksfan1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I might be pickin up a 400 gallon saltwater tank tomorrow, it's free but the lady is not sure if all the pumps and stuff work, and it needs to be re sealed and the bottom apparently needs to be rebuilt, i haven't seen it yet so i'm not entirely sure what it comes with, she picked it up at the world expo in 86 and it has been sitting there basically since then, so my question how much do u figure it would cost to reseal it and rebuild the bottom (not entirely sure what that means) and what would i need to do it???

O the tank is 8 feet long buy 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall

I guess you would start by contacting a LFS. Interesting, I wonder if it will economically be worth the hassle. I assume there's no overflow...

Boy, that is a huge tank! 8O

I hope you don't want to re-arrange your LR once you got it running, or you're gonna have to swim! :lol:

WOW...Regardless of what it will cost to fix the bottom of the tank I expect that will be the smallest cost you will encounter when setting that tank up. A tank that large is going to take a LOT of prep work...where your going to put it...where you are going to house the support equipment...I hope you have a big budget!!!

I sure would love to have the problems you are about to face!!! Congrats on the awesome freebie!!! Get us some pics!!!

i can put in anywhere i want in my house really it one story concrete slab, so weight is no issue, i can build a stand for it if it doesn't come with one which is no prob, i build houses for a living a tank stand is no prob, and i will find out what type of filtration and stuff it has tomorrow and post some pics

Excellent!!! We can't wait for the pics!! Most people look at large tanks and don't consider the weight issues glad to hear you have the knowledge to build and handle the task!! It is going to be an awesome project that you should document every step of the way..I wish I had when I built my stand/canopy and set everything up...

I'd ditch all the pumps anyway and buy new ones.

I'm almost feeling that I'd pass on the tank too and get a new one. I'm willing to bet it's gonna take a lot more work than you anticipate - unless you just like projects.

Probably why it's been sitting for 20 years.

Yea i'm also considerin turnin it into a freswater tank at least for a lil while till i can afford all the stuff i would need for a saltwater tank

canucksfan1 said:
Yea i'm also considerin turnin it into a freswater tank at least for a lil while till i can afford all the stuff i would need for a saltwater tank
Well, you could save up while your tank cycles, should be 4-6 weeks or more.....

I will need some equip to cycle the tank tho no???? i don't know what it comes with i will post what all i got in a couple hours

Techically, while cycling, if you are using LR and a shrimp (dead from grocery store), then you would only need a heater to maintain temp and a way to circulate the water - you don't need lights or any of the other fun stuff like protein skimmers or filters or even a sump.

I agree with MSU, shoot for 1 raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp per 30 Gallons.

well thats no problem i live right by the ocean and could pick them up live if i wanted from the docks, and it has all sorts of pumps and filters and stuff like that of a pool, so i dunno we will see what i do, it has a piece of steel for the bottom of the tank that is super rusty so i am gunna put a piece of glass over that and silicon it in and re silicon the sides, it also has a steel stand with wheels so i can move it around a little easier, but i can't get it in my house so i am gunna keep it in my shop outside for a while and bring it in thru one of out sliding doors, i am gunna have to take off both pieces of glass to to it

Back
Top Bottom