Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

40b Freshwater to Saltwater

Hey guys,

I am wanting to transform my freshwater cichlid tank into a saltwater tank. right now I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350, 36" Finnex Fuge Ray, and a 100W heater. My question is how hard of a transformation will I have on my hands and am I facing a expensive transformation. I my light and filter sufficient? do I have to have a sump and a skimmer. Sorry the saltwater world is completely new to me and any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwhite807 View Post
Hey guys,

I am wanting to transform my freshwater cichlid tank into a saltwater tank. right now I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350, 36" Finnex Fuge Ray, and a 100W heater. My question is how hard of a transformation will I have on my hands and am I facing a expensive transformation. I my light and filter sufficient? do I have to have a sump and a skimmer. Sorry the saltwater world is completely new to me and any help would be appreciated.

You could use the filter but I'd get a skimmer to for a 40, reef octopus and eshopps make good hob models. The light would be fine for a fowlr, but isn't going to cut it for corals. You'd also want to ditch the rocks and substrate for sw versions.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help. I started the transformation this afternoon. Hopefully I am off to a good start. I have read that you cannot add coral until at least a month after the tank has cycled. That will give me plenty of time to figure out the light.

Tags
ate, fresh, freshwater, freshwater to saltwater, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com