40b Freshwater to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdwhite807

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

I am wanting to transform my freshwater cichlid tank into a saltwater tank. right now I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350, 36" Finnex Fuge Ray, and a 100W heater. My question is how hard of a transformation will I have on my hands and am I facing a expensive transformation. I my light and filter sufficient? do I have to have a sump and a skimmer. Sorry the saltwater world is completely new to me and any help would be appreciated.

Hey guys,

I am wanting to transform my freshwater cichlid tank into a saltwater tank. right now I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350, 36" Finnex Fuge Ray, and a 100W heater. My question is how hard of a transformation will I have on my hands and am I facing a expensive transformation. I my light and filter sufficient? do I have to have a sump and a skimmer. Sorry the saltwater world is completely new to me and any help would be appreciated.

You could use the filter but I'd get a skimmer to for a 40, reef octopus and eshopps make good hob models. The light would be fine for a fowlr, but isn't going to cut it for corals. You'd also want to ditch the rocks and substrate for sw versions.

Thanks for the help. I started the transformation this afternoon. Hopefully I am off to a good start. I have read that you cannot add coral until at least a month after the tank has cycled. That will give me plenty of time to figure out the light.

Back
Top Bottom