Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

40B Newbie

Hello
so I am just starting out and I want to do a reef tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder with an Aqua Clear 55/75 HOB, Getting a used Current 4xT5 light. a HOB Skimmer off EBay one of those instant ocean SeaClone clones, and a SunSun JVP-201B 1585 GPH Dual Aquarium Circulation Pump Wavemaker Powerhead w/ Magnet Clamp Base. Is this good enough for a reef tank.

Now what I really need to know is how to get it going I was told to buy live sand and 50/50 live and dry rock up to 35 pounds to get it started and some kind of fish to cycle it. Do I need this much rock has anybody ever purchased live rock over the internet I really on a tight budget to start.

Thanks,

Old 08-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodyus View Post
Hello
so I am just starting out and I want to do a reef tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder with an Aqua Clear 55/75 HOB, Getting a used Current 4xT5 light. a HOB Skimmer off EBay one of those instant ocean SeaClone clones, and a SunSun JVP-201B 1585 GPH Dual Aquarium Circulation Pump Wavemaker Powerhead w/ Magnet Clamp Base. Is this good enough for a reef tank.

Now what I really need to know is how to get it going I was told to buy live sand and 50/50 live and dry rock up to 35 pounds to get it started and some kind of fish to cycle it. Do I need this much rock has anybody ever purchased live rock over the internet I really on a tight budget to start.

Thanks,
That power head is too much for a 3' tank. eBay has a pair of made in china wave makers 800gph each for like $25. That would be better, that way u will have intersecting currents.

As far as the rock and sand. It's really up to how patient you are and how much u want to spend. I did all dead sand and 50lbs of dry rock and 20lbs of live rock when I started my 115g and it was cycled in only 2 weeks. The more live rock the faster ur cycle but if u don't mind waiting a week or two more doe whatever u can afford.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #3

Okay I was thinking 40lb black live sand 10lbs of dry base rock and 25 pounds of Caribbean purple pink like rock from ebay the local shops just want to much for what I can afford at the moment my stand and lighting took all the money. So I want 800GPH for the 40 gallon?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodyus View Post
Okay I was thinking 40lb black live sand 10lbs of dry base rock and 25 pounds of Caribbean purple pink like rock from ebay the local shops just want to much for what I can afford at the moment my stand and lighting took all the money. So I want 800GPH for the 40 gallon?
I was saying x2 800gph wave makers. Having one on each end of your tank pointed at each other would give you a turbulent flow in the tank. (I.e. flow from different directions) this is much more like the ocean than just having one overpowered wave maker blowing in the same direction all the time you know? But personally I would go with 2x 530gph wave makers (also found on eBay for $13.75 free shipping) the rule of thumb is 10-20times ur tanks volume in flow
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With live rock I would just skip it and go with total dry rock. Most people are doing it that way nowadays and it works just as well as live rock without any unwelcome hitch hikers. I would go with 40lbs + on a 40 breeder.

Just for the record this is what 30 lbs of dry rock + 10 lbs of refugium rubble gets you

The flow you need depends on what types of coral you want. It's suggested to have 10x-40x the tank volume in flow per hour. I would probably stray more towards the 40x flow. In my upcoming 40 breeder reef I will be running at least two Hydor koralia powerheads, either the 600s or the 850s
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
With live rock I would just skip it and go with total dry rock. Most people are doing it that way nowadays and it works just as well as live rock without any unwelcome hitch hikers. I would go with 40lbs + on a 40 breeder.

Just for the record this is what 30 lbs of dry rock + 10 lbs of refugium rubble gets you

The flow you need depends on what types of coral you want. It's suggested to have 10x-40x the tank volume in flow per hour. I would probably stray more towards the 40x flow. In my upcoming 40 breeder reef I will be running at least two Hydor koralia powerheads, either the 600s or the 850s

I am actually more for going with the color on the wet rock the purples and pink and red more than anything. now I just need to find a very big pirate ship wreck I know lame but my daughter wants so I am going to put all the rock on the wall and make like a sand bar with a wrecked pirate ship and start adding coral to the ship and rocks. But I want something like this Astounding 220G Pirate Shipwreck Discus Aquarium - YouTube but maybe not that big but close
Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mebbid, do you suggest x40 for a lps and sps tank?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDaAx View Post
Mebbid, do you suggest x40 for a lps and sps tank?
SPS yes although the LPS don't really need the higher flow. But for example I am running about 500gph in my 20g reef and it's just not enough flow for a lot of my softies.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea placement and where your rocks are play a big role in how much flow. I am thinking I should add another power head to my 115g
Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #10

So here is some pics of my tank got 25 Lbs of live rock with Hawaiian agro live sand. Still waiting on 20lbs dry from reef clearners, Hob Tank Micro Bubble skimmer from ebay. 10k Light and my 2 800PGH powerhead . Here some pics of it already.

Tags
newb, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com