Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
bluzepher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 201
40b not drilled

I want it set up a sump/refuguim. I do not want to drill my tank. Do I need an overflow box to make this work. Please help

Thanks
__________________

__________________
bluzepher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dav3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,233
Yes you will need some sort of HOB overflow.
__________________

__________________
Dav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tkey3425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzepher1 View Post
I want it set up a sump/refuguim. I do not want to drill my tank. Do I need an overflow box to make this work. Please help

Thanks
It's not nearly as difficult to drill a tank as people think. Especially on one with thin glass like a 40B. HOB overflows scare me lol. I'll never use another one. I had one lose siphon and the sump was the same size as the DT so it just overflowed the tank onto my floor until it had pumped at 40 or so gallons out of my sump onto my carpet. use glass-holes.com if you decide to try it. They sell the complete kit with the bit to drill it. The bottom glass is the only tempered glass on 90% of aquariums.
__________________
Tkey3425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
bluzepher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
It's not nearly as difficult to drill a tank as people think. Especially on one with thin glass like a 40B. HOB overflows scare me lol. I'll never use another one. I had one lose siphon and the sump was the same size as the DT so it just overflowed the tank onto my floor until it had pumped at 40 or so gallons out of my sump onto my carpet. use glass-holes.com if you decide to try it. They sell the complete kit with the bit to drill it. The bottom glass is the only tempered glass on 90% of aquariums.
I have the overflow box to go inside the tank, can I use it?
__________________
bluzepher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tkey3425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzepher1 View Post
I have the overflow box to go inside the tank, can I use it?
the box will be inside the tank either way. If its a HOB then most that ive used don't auto start the siphon. My power went out while i was at work and when it came back on the overflow didn't self prime to allow the DT to drain into the sump therefore overflowing my tank. Since then i have drilled both tanks and use the standard overflows. Plus its a cleaner look to me. Check out the ghost overflows too they are really sweet but kinda pricey
__________________
Tkey3425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
bluzepher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
the box will be inside the tank either way. If its a HOB then most that ive used don't auto start the siphon. My power went out while i was at work and when it came back on the overflow didn't self prime to allow the DT to drain into the sump therefore overflowing my tank. Since then i have drilled both tanks and use the standard overflows. Plus its a cleaner look to me. Check out the ghost overflows too they are really sweet but kinda pricey
I already have water in my tank
Cycle almost complete
__________________
bluzepher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Daniel Fishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jupiter Fla
Posts: 1,178
Eshopp overflow box siphon won't break and match the proper pump. Design of the sump is the most important issue unless you already have one.
__________________
Daniel Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
bluzepher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Eshopp overflow box siphon won't break and match the proper pump. Design of the sump is the most important issue unless you already have one.
So, since I have a regular overflow box not good since tank is not drilled. Should I buy a hob overflow?
So confused . Sorry
__________________
bluzepher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Daniel Fishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jupiter Fla
Posts: 1,178
Post a pic. Sounds like you have half of one.
__________________
Daniel Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
bluzepher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Eshopp overflow box siphon won't break and match the proper pump. Design of the sump is the most important issue unless you already have one.
I bought the eshopp hob overflow box today

M mud and sand or just sand. Or just MM
__________________

__________________
bluzepher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drilled, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.