40b Reef Planning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macscale

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone! A couple of days ago, I posted a thread regarding a 55g Fowlr Vs A 40b reef. After searching through multiple forums, I finally decided to go with a 40b reef!

Now the tank pry won't occur until July, except I may build the stand and order some parts early. (Depending on funds).

Alright so I need some help in a couple of places.

1.) Skimmer. Is it required for the 40b? It's gonna be mostly softies and lps, maybe a few easy sps later on. I can always get one later.

2.) Sump, AC 110, or Refugium? What should I go with? I've never run a sump or a Refugium. I can probably plumb and build one. Would it make that much of a difference to do a sump?

3.) Lighting- How many ebay panels would I need? Would one work? I may just get to Current USA orbit marine LED. Carey has it on a hers, and she said it would work for softies and lps, so no need for a skimmer if I just get that.

4.) Has anyone tried the Caribsea rock from amazon? Is it any good?
I'd like to thank everyone in advance.

Here is what I plan to get for supplies.

40b Tank
20l sump- Pending
Orbit Marine LED- Pending
DIY Stand
1x Koralia 850 and 550.
Sand 40lbs
Rock from Amazon- Pending.

Does that sound good?

Hey, sorry I came on late. lol

I think youre headed in the right direction. I love the 40b and I am sure you will too.
If you can drill and go with a sump i would highly reccomend it. I am using a remora skimmer right now which is a hang on back model but plan to fix or try to fix my eshopps in sump skimmer so I can go with nothing hanging on. :)
I am using a regular 10g tank which fits exactly in my stand but depending on how you build your stand you might be able to fit a 20g underneath. I am not running a refugium either and dont expect I will miss having one.
The orbit is doing well still, I actually had to move my duncans down to the sandbed as they werent opening up higher up, I think because of the lights intensity.
This is the rock I got from amazon, it was a steral with free shipping.

Amazon.com: Carib Sea ACS00370 South Sea Base Rock for Aquarium, 40-Pound: Pet Supplies

$58 bucks for 40 lbs is a great deal. It says it was repackaged, but really, does it matter? It's just rocks. lol

Thanks so much Carey! I was really hoping you would jump in!

Alright, then I think I'll go with the orbit and the Amazon rock!

I'm just gonna run up a quick total.

Would you still recommend a protein skimmer?

Alright here:
40b Tank- $40
DIY Stand- $15 for wood
Plumbing- $25
Powerheads- $55
Pump- Suggestions?
Sump Tank - $20
Sand- $25
Rock- $60
Lights $200
Heater- $30
Total- $480 Give or Take

What are the real benefits of a sump vs the AC110?

Depends on what you will do as far as stocking, feeding and water change schedule. I ran a 29g without a skimmer with no issues but the 40b is a bit larger so I would def suggest a skimmer at some point.
If so I would factor in like $200 bucks for one and youll have some left over.

Did you get the price for the lights from amazon? Cause they are like $20 cheaper than everyone else. I went with the 36-48 inch version, just so I could get every last bit of light available and it covers the entire tank. The 24-36 inch one will leave some of the sides with out direct light.

Depends on what you will do as far as stocking, feeding and water change schedule. I ran a 29g without a skimmer with no issues but the 40b is a bit larger so I would def suggest a skimmer at some point.
If so I would factor in like $200 bucks for one and youll have some left over.

I'll probably add one later. Unless I do an Aqua Clear, then I could afford a skimmer.
Yes, that's what I got last time I checked on Amazon.

EDIT: looks like they raised the price!

I think the benefit to getting a sump outweighs the immediate need for a skimmer. A skimmer will be a one shot purchase while a sumps benefits will be seen every day the tank runs. :)

If you go without a skimmer until you can swing the money just do extra water changes and be very very vigilant about stocking and feeding.

The price still seems extremely do able though. Especially for all of the cool feature you get!
I always put more then I think it will be, because you will never know!

Drill it, sump it, and skip the fuge. I've used the aqua c skimmers before and believe I currently have a reef octopus on both my 40s and would suggest a skimmer for one. IMHO fuges are way over rated and we do not run them near big enough to give us the amount if nutrient export that we think they do, give me some carbon and phosphate media any day. The sump will be nice in keeping your display "cleaner" and let you hide all your equipment. For flow I would look into an adjustable ph, the jaebos look pretty nice for the money, the ability to vary the flow and make more intermittent flow are worth the extra money IMO.

Ok thanks! Any advice on a return pump.

As for the Jebaos, would one WP10 work? I really like and this price isn't that much more then I had planned for power heads!

I have wp40's in my 180g and they are pretty nice. I like the ability to adjust the flow and they can be setup to go at half speed at night with the light sensing plug thing that comes with it.
I am running a mp10 now in my 40b and not really sure but I think it needs another powerhead. lol

I have wp40's in my 180g and they are pretty nice. I like the ability to adjust the flow and they can be setup to go at half speed at night with the light sensing plug thing that comes with it.
I am running a mp10 now in my 40b and not really sure but I think it needs another powerhead. lol

How much flow does the Mp10 produce? I can always add a quick Koralia if I have too.

For a pump it depends on a couple different things, here's a couple real good articles on sumps. The 3 part one linked to on the bottom is probably the most comprehensive article on sumps I've ever read.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/newbie/index.php

And the wp10 should be enough flow volume wise, you may need another small one on the other side if you have dead spots

I have mp10s on my 40's and I had to add a k nano to each to supplement on the other side

I have to admit the Bubble Magus look amazing! I'll see their prices when they come out. I think I'll save about $750 for this tank. It seems like it should be good.

I'm reading through the pump article now!

Just got my order of Caribsea Rocks yesterday and they are good for the price id recommend them, i should have waited to order them as i checked my lfs the next day and they have good live rock for $2.40 a pound! Oh well lol i got 4 pounds of it to seed my dry rock, it'll be interesting to watch it transform into "live" rock

What do you guys think about "upgrading" my 20g high into the 40b?
Eliminating partial costs, a bigger tank, I can use the 20 as a sump..
I may be able to move it much sooner.

I'd just move my stock to both of the 10s when I'm moving around the tanks.

First I'd drill the tank and build the stand. Then just plumb, move the rock and sand over, add a 20 pounds of new live rock, and order one of the new Bubble Magus power heads but for now use the koralias I have. Would it still have to cycle? It seems like a good alternative to me. Your opinions?

Back
Top Bottom