40B stocking help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hart_the_reefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fully cycled 40B display tank. 48lbs of live Fiji rock, 40lbs CaribSea reef sand. between my display tank and fuge I have total water capacity of 55 Gallons.

I've had 2-Ocellaris Clowns for approx. 6 months that are doing great. I also have one small Trumpet coral(4 heads) and two small zoa colonies. I'm now ready to begin adding more fish to the tank with the idea of having a predominantly LPS/softy tank.

Any feedback on my possible combinations would be greatly appreciated.

Option 1:
2-clowns
1-purple or helfrichi fire fish
2-high banded gobies
1-royal gamma
3-banggai cardinals

Option 2:
2-clowns
1-mystery wrasse
1-yellow watchman goby
1-cherub pygmy angel

Option3:
2-clowns
1-green banded goby
1-blue or green chromis
1-purple orchid dotty back
1-flame angel

I also love the pink tail trigger or Valentini puffer, and any ideas on CUC?

Thanks,
-Hart_the_Reefer

All of your options look good to me, but keep in mind angels are known to take out corals. I have a 40b with a cherub angel. I just added my first corals, a frogspawn frag and zoa colony, and so far my angel has been a model citizen. Just something to think about. The puffer would be a bad idea for mixing with corals, more so than angels.

I think we are on the same lines. Keep me updated on your tank OTTO.

I think I'm much closer to "having a plan"

2-Ocellaris clowns View attachment 218159
2-Hefrichi fire fish View attachment 218161
1-Royal gamma View attachment 218162

And either:
1-High fin red banded goby View attachment 218163 Or 1-Red mandarin View attachment 218164

How about this list? Any changes, opinions or concerns you for see?

Goby or mandarin? (Mandarin looks sweet)

I may possibly do a wrasse or dwarf angel in the future.

Thanks,
Hart_the_Reefer

Thanks,
-Hart_the_Reefer

Skip the mandarin. Total pain to keep. I was able to do it for over a year in my 55. Took monthly addition of 1k and up pods along with it eating frozen.
I also agree with the dwarf angel as a 'skip'. I have one in the mixed reef and it has gone postal on a clam and a pocillopora...though currently nothing else. I'd get rid of the coral beauty, which is usually the mildest of all the dwarf angels, in a heartbeat.
I also like cardinals. PJ's being enjoyable. I have one in the reef and would add more in a heartbeat if I ever found some I found to be healthy.

Thanks man. Appreciate the info. The mandarin is out then. Been super helpful. And PS, I know the pics didn't match the fish lol. Not sure what happened there.

Thanks,
-Hart_the_Reefer

Careful with the helfrichis. I'd either do 1 or 3. I've noticed unless it's a true mated pair one will kill the other. And get a super tight top!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I take it theyre jumpers. Lol. Can you put a purple or red and helfrichi together? Or any combination of 2?

Thanks,
-Hart_the_Reefer

Back
Top Bottom