40g Breeder Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The stand and canopy are complete. I just need to mount the door. Im starting to build my 20g sump now. I got the dividers cut. Now need to get some marine caulking to install. I picked up an eshopps psk100 skimmer, and a mag 500 return pump.

Love this build!

I think it is great that you are doing this build with a 40 gallon breeder. It is a perfect size and is more challenging than 75+ gallon tanks. It takes a lot of discipline and I applaud your efforts.

Lol, I hope I have what it takes. I had a 135g that I sold right before xmas, but quickly regretted it. So I figure this build will keep me busy for a while.

I ran a durso 1.5" on my 135. Yeah it wasnt the quietest thing.

Same on the 130g I have. Doesnt bother me cause it's in the living room so not the quietest of all room being the main room of the house. Looks like the petco $1 got everyone with a 40b. :D I'm gonna pick up another and might use it for my sump. Everything is looking good so far on your end (y)

Same on the 130g I have. Doesnt bother me cause it's in the living room so not the quietest of all room being the main room of the house. Looks like the petco $1 got everyone with a 40b. :D I'm gonna pick up another and might use it for my sump. Everything is looking good so far on your end (y)

I had a 40g sumo on my 135. Plenty of room.

Thanks. I noticed you have a 39g. What is your stock list? What filtration and lights are you using

I have a pair of ocellaris clowns, yellow chrysus wrasse, red linckia starfish(new addition), good variety CUC & a bunch of coral and live rock. I have a 25~ gal. Sump with refugium and chaeto in it. Im still using my aquac remora skimmer and a BRS reactor with GFO. My lights are xen-lux 120w bridgelux leds.

No, don't paint the 90 elbow in the overflow. To do it right, you can use krylon fusion paint. But cure time is about 1 week, and it needs 2-3 coats.

I'd go with a schedule 80 elbow (these almost always come in grey). Much better looking than the white sched 40 elbows from HD or Lowes.

No, don't paint the 90 elbow in the overflow. To do it right, you can use krylon fusion paint. But cure time is about 1 week, and it needs 2-3 coats.

I'd go with a schedule 80 elbow (these almost always come in grey). Much better looking than the white sched 40 elbows from HD or Lowes.

I looked for a mip by slip sch80 90 but couldnt find any... ugh

Well I got the right hindges. Im hoping to complete the sump this weekend. Has anyone built there own sump? Guy told me to first use an adhesive then silicone... sounds like a lot of cure time

Well I got the right hindges. Im hoping to complete the sump this weekend. Has anyone built there own sump? Guy told me to first use an adhesive then silicone... sounds like a lot of cure time

At least 24 hours on the silicone.

Door is mounted and child proofed. Haha. Also dropped in 15 lbs of rock. Just to see what it's going to look like. Im planning on getting another 30 lbs of live rock and using 50 lbs of live sand in the dt and maybe 5 lbs in the sump.

Looks great! I just got a 40b as well and am stuck at the drilling part lol.

Good job building the stand, the stand I have now wont even let me get a 10g under it. :-(

Good thinking.

Back
Top Bottom