40g build questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsFan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an empty 40g tall tank that I want to make into a sw tank with corals. My first question is. With this size do I need to get a sump or can a hob filter work. If I need a sump is 10g sump big enough? Trying to play with the stuff I have already to reduce what I need to buy.
Thanks for any info!

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you plan on stocking with fish aswell as coral a sump wouldn't be a bad idea!
For my 40 gal I built a 9 gal sump it helps for sure!

sump definitely helps. you can make a 20gal/29gal sump that you can use for later if you do decide to upgrade

Yes will want some fish as well.
Does anyone have a good link on how to properly build a sump. If I go that route I want to make myself. Never done SW and it is kind of intimidating lol

I've seen a lot of great tutorials on YouTube on how to diy sumps

Another question. Is Live sand basically a gimmick. I was planning on using pool Filter sand.

Yes the live sand in a bag is a gimmick IMO, but I wouldn't use pool filter sand either, I believe it has a lot if silicates which will lead to a never ending diatom bloom. Use an aragonite sand (reef sand)

Another question. Is Live sand basically a gimmick. I was planning on using pool Filter sand.

i wouldn't use pool filter sand if i were you. live sand or sand that used to be live act as buffer in the tank.

I have used pool filter sand on at least a half dozen tanks and have never ever had any issues. :)

I also have a silicate test and have used it at different times to see if anything leeches out and so far nothing. I always use the pool filter sand from home depot though, the same brand and type every time.

I just set up a 180g tank a few months ago and used about 200lbs of sand for it, if I had not gotten pool filter sand which was only $20 it would have cost me over $200!!

BUT if you want real sand, I just got a delivery today of aragonite sand, pre-rinsed for $25 for 40lbs from The Reef Rock Store. Good company and good sand and rock too.

Hey Carey I was looking at reefrocks.net also. How do you like the sand is t too fine? Did you get your rocks there also?

I've gotten rocks from them in the past, very similar to what you get at reefcleaners or other online stores. Very very porous and looks great. :)

The sand is fine, not at all pointy which is what I wanted for my sifters. Pool filter sand is a tad bit too grainy for my tastes when it comes to sifting gobies.
I ordered the sand just the other day and it arrived today, pretty quick shipping. They used to take their time on shipping but it seems they have improved.
Also the cheapest place I have found rock and sand so its worth a try in my opinion.

Ok cool. Yea I hear you on the price, cheapest I can find also.

Back
Top Bottom