40g now cycled, but there's already two living things now what the heck are these?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

After about 3 weeks, my 40g cycled so I can move my clown and cardinal from the 20g that they are in now. I was juuuust about to start doing this and noticed two things crawling on the glass inside. I tried to take a photo but the camera wouldn't focus so I'll try to describe it the best i can. It's very small, white, and looks like it's sucking on the glass. The bottom of the body splits in two like a V or U, and the head I guess you could call it looks like the shape of half a circle.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites -0
Nitrates - 5

The Fiji live rock I've purchased awhile ago is starting to shed, haven't seen that happen before. One piece of live rock is from the 20g and two other pieces were purchased at the same place, but it must have came from one of those rocks and has been hiding this entire time. Does anyone know what this is? I've done a lot of research on here over the month but I've yet to read about "once your tank is cycled you'll just start seeing random white critters sucking on your glass!"

I'll keep trying to get a decent photo...

Thanks,
Dave

it's a flatworm. they are very common in new tanks. i know people get freaked out when they hear that word, but the white ones are only seen just after a cycle. they disappear shortly after that, never to be seen again. they are harmless.

i'm betting it looks something like this-

flatworm.jpg

2Q==

Yeah, I had them in my cichlid tank. They only lasted about 2-3 days and were gone. They are both fresh and salt dwellers. When reading up on them, I found out that they are so common that some freshman college science classes actually raise them.

Funny I found this post, I just noticed a few of those in my new betta tank that isn't quite done cycling. There was a few on the filter and there is a few on the fern planted in there. So they arn't anything to worry about. Wow, glad I found this thread before I got worried.

it's a flatworm. they are very common in new tanks. i know people get freaked out when they hear that word, but the white ones are only seen just after a cycle. they disappear shortly after that, never to be seen again. they are harmless.

i'm betting it looks something like this-

flatworm.jpg

K9rU6CLgrnf0YwFifWUx5

Thanks for the info! After reading post after post on here I've learned you can never be to cautious. It looks just like the photo...thanks again.

It was meant as a compliment. :) I'd have a mess on my hands if it weren't for you!

I was under the impression that you owned a fish store for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom