40g salt water tank NEEDDD HELP PLEASE!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FFreshi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 40 g salt water tank and i just had a Scopus tang and a clown fish die on me from what i think was ich the tank has been running for about 3 to 4 weeks and the water is really dark cloudy my other clown is acting really weird to am i missing something i and very new to this i need as much advice as i can get thank you sooo much for the help oh and i have a aquaclear power filter and my salinity level is at 1.023...

everything is at the right levels salt and ph is all good and no i have zero corals just live rock... you think its because i dont have any air pumps or live plants to produce oxygen?

now my strawberry brasselet is twitching out i think this ich is killing all my fish and its said they were all fine tell i put the tang in there!!!

I don't think ur tank has cycled. Usually takes 4-6 weeks... Then u will add fish in another 2 weeks after that. They probably got ich because of stress. As long as the top of ur water is rippling, u have oxygen in the tank. Plus a 40g is way to small for any tang.

FFreshi said:
everything is at the right levels salt and ph is all good and no i have zero corals just live rock... you think its because i dont have any air pumps or live plants to produce oxygen?

Saltwater don't need air pumps. Just circulation from power heads...

ok soo in this situation what should i do since i have ich in my tank with 2 fish one clown and one bassalet and a shrimp and diamond guppy

FFreshi said:
ok soo in this situation what should i do since i have ich in my tank with 2 fish one clown and one bassalet and a shrimp and diamond guppy

Only 2 ways to treat ich. Hypo salinity and copper. If u use copper, u can never have corals or inverts. With hypo salinity, u take it down to 1.009. Either way, u need to leave ur tank empty for 8 weeks.

thank you you have been i real big help what should i do with the fish i have now??? since i dont have another tank?

FFreshi said:
thank you you have been i real big help what should i do with the fish i have now??? since i dont have another tank?

Try hypo... Ur going to lose ur inverts though.

i have a 40 g salt water tank and i just had a Scopus tang and a clown fish die on me from what i think was ich the tank has been running for about 3 to 4 weeks and the water is really dark cloudy my other clown is acting really weird to am i missing something i and very new to this i need as much advice as i can get thank you sooo much for the help oh and i have a aquaclear power filter and my salinity level is at 1.023...

There is a lot wrong with what you wrote here and you're learning some hard lessons. First, your saltwater tank is way too new for a fish never mind how many you put in there before it cycled. Secondly you have to research what fish go in when. you can't throw a tang into a brand new 40 gallon tank and you'll be hard pressed to ever find a tang happy in a 40. So now you have a serious issues because ich is in your tank now. If a fish survives you should leave it there by itself for quite some time now. ich has about a month cycle, google the marine ich cycle to understand. if you add a fish with ich still in the water it'll contract it and start over again. really you should leave your tank empty for a couple of months but most people just setting up a tank decide not to follow this as they've just spent a lot of money on a glass box with rock. It sucks cause its not like a fresh water tank where you add blue medicine and ich goes away. Marine ich is super tough and you have to let it dye out or if you want to kill it with coper or hyposalinity you'll knock out whats living in your tank. So now you have to make some choices about how you're going to deal with this. Some people just leave it, you may have a clown survive and you can just enjoyhim for acouple of months and others go the kill it route. i guess it depends on what you have to loose at this point.

Once you're in the clear do a lot of research about your tank and what you can do to keep it thriving. Read about cycles and water parameters. Find out what fish are cool in a 40 gallon and what will stress and die. Its complicated and can be overwhelming but once you get it, its pretty rewarding....

Back
Top Bottom