40g saltwater 15days new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blondek727

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i just want to start off by saying i love this site and i always get tons of feedback on these forums thats really helpfuly but im kinda confused i have a 40g breeder that im making into a reef tank it has no live rock in the display but has about 50lb of live sand and about a 70lb of deadrock. it has a 10 sump with about 10 pounds of live sand and about 8 or 9 pounds of liverock in the sump i have two hermits and two snails and about 400 billion pods throughout the whole system. the system has been running for 15days so far and almost everyday i throw some kinda of fish food in there put it is yet to have a ammonia spike. i know its still early but is this thing ever going to spike? the only thing i can think of and its probably not true is that on the bags of live sand it said no waiting for cycle. it said that the sand would cycle the water instantly and that all u had to do is wait for the foggyness to go away. i think thats a bunch of crap but the tank has not spiked and there is a ton of life is this tank the pods are everyware i could probably support about 20 manderin (not that i ever would do such a thing) but if anyone has a sugestion or comments please reply thank u..if u are curiuse to see what the tank looks like i have a video on youtube just search under Quadrunner706 and all my videos will come up thank u agien in advance

Are you seeing any increase in nitrAtes? Seeing a gradual increase in nitrates implies that your cycle is complete, and your ammonia is being converted.

However... I agree with you - I doubt your "live" sand from a bag is doing much of anything. I would guess more likely that the amount of fish food you're putting in the tank isn't enough to make a measurable spike in ammonia. Try a single uncooked cocktail shrimp and see if that doesn't give you something.

Nope everythings at zero but I got a shrimp from work today so I'm sure within a couple days will see something

I agree on the shrimp. You`ll see something now. Read our cycling article in the SW articles.

Back
Top Bottom