40g saltwater seahorse tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlsardina

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok. So I have a small drilled acrylic tank that I have started cycling so that I can start a seahorse habitat. Does anyone have any experience with seahorses?

This is the tank and my basic stand (will dress it up later).

What size powerhead?
Substrate amount?
Amount of LR?
What corals/macro can I house with seahorses?
Best way to feed live food?

Ok. So I have a small drilled acrylic tank that I have started cycling so that I can start a seahorse habitat. Does anyone have any experience with seahorses?

This is the tank and my basic stand (will dress it up later).

What size powerhead?
Substrate amount?
Amount of LR?
What corals/macro can I house with seahorses?
Best way to feed live food?

Congrats!

A maxi jet 1200 or two would be good. They like a few areas where they can play. Hydors will kill them, so will vortechs-they like to hitch in the slits regretfully.

1-2in sand. mainly for cuc and aesthetics

LR is up to you. the standard 1-2lbs per gallon for filtration is good. if you are able to grow copepods it will give them an area to migrate before they get eaten.

Lower light corals will work unless you have a chiller. SH should be in 72 degree water or less to help with lowering risk of disease. I think red grape macro algae will work. It allows them to have a hitching plant and adds color to the tank.

A feeding dish would help them with eating. if not a turkey baster will help putting the food in their area, which will help with water quality. You should get a cuc since a fair amount of food will not get eaten-very slow eaters. Nassarius snails are a great option. SH love to eat mysis. live brine shrimp is a treat for them to hunt but you already know they aren't that nutritious.

This is just my .02

Back
Top Bottom