Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Post 40gal stock list

I'm in the planning stages of my first big saltwater setup, I'm going with a 40gal breeder. As far as livestock, I'd like a pair of ocellaris clowns, some snails, blue leg hermits, peppermint shrimp, and a blue spotted jawfish. Anything else I can add to the tank? Any suggestions?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How about a goby or a blenny? Ir maybe a royal gramma, they are really pretty but stay to the rocks alot.

You have quite a few options with that size tank, it has a great footprint.

Are you gonna do corals or fish only?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A royal gramma would look nice. I'd like to do corals too. I'd like to have an anemone for the clowns to host and a few zoa colonies, birdsnest, and star polyps.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok, so if youre gonna go with corals you need reef safe fish, so no angels or some wrasses. Do you have a cover for the tank? Wrasses are nice too, you could probably get a smaller one I bet.
The corals will depend entirely on your lighting. as far a an anemone, I would urge you to wait a while longer. Like months. They need extreme ligting and pristine water in an established tank to do their best. And not all clowns will host the nem, so it;s a 50/50 shot.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ok. I wait a while on the anemone until I'm more experienced. I don't have a cover for the tank. Should I get one?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wrasses ,dottybacks,firefish,Cardinalfish..lots of choices
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you decide on "jumping" fish you will need a cover. If you have no jumpers you can continue without one.

Have you checked out Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for fish? They have a HUGE selection and it can give you some awesome ideas.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

alright, the jawfish may be a jumper so I'll get a glass cover. I'm thinking about a trio of banggai cardinals, and my mom really wants an arrow crab but I read they can pick on other inverts and could get up to 10"? And yes, I've been browsing liveaquaria for awhile now.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I see no reaon why you couldnt get the cardinals, they are cool looking fish. Getting three though will cut down on any other fish though. A total of 6 fish in a 40g is probably your limit in my opinion. so you could get your clowns , jawfish and the cardinals.

I have no idea about the arrow crab, never had one and I find them kinda like big spiders, they creep me out. lol
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The cardinals are pretty, but I kind of want more smaller fish than fewer large ones. I think I'll go with the royal gramma

Tags
40 gallon, newbie, stock, stock list

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com