40gal stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in the planning stages of my first big saltwater setup, I'm going with a 40gal breeder. As far as livestock, I'd like a pair of ocellaris clowns, some snails, blue leg hermits, peppermint shrimp, and a blue spotted jawfish. Anything else I can add to the tank? Any suggestions?

How about a goby or a blenny? Ir maybe a royal gramma, they are really pretty but stay to the rocks alot.

You have quite a few options with that size tank, it has a great footprint.

Are you gonna do corals or fish only?

A royal gramma would look nice. I'd like to do corals too. I'd like to have an anemone for the clowns to host and a few zoa colonies, birdsnest, and star polyps.

Ok, so if youre gonna go with corals you need reef safe fish, so no angels or some wrasses. Do you have a cover for the tank? Wrasses are nice too, you could probably get a smaller one I bet.
The corals will depend entirely on your lighting. as far a an anemone, I would urge you to wait a while longer. Like months. They need extreme ligting and pristine water in an established tank to do their best. And not all clowns will host the nem, so it;s a 50/50 shot.

ok. I wait a while on the anemone until I'm more experienced. I don't have a cover for the tank. Should I get one?

alright, the jawfish may be a jumper so I'll get a glass cover. I'm thinking about a trio of banggai cardinals, and my mom really wants an arrow crab but I read they can pick on other inverts and could get up to 10"? And yes, I've been browsing liveaquaria for awhile now.

I see no reaon why you couldnt get the cardinals, they are cool looking fish. Getting three though will cut down on any other fish though. A total of 6 fish in a 40g is probably your limit in my opinion. so you could get your clowns , jawfish and the cardinals. :)

I have no idea about the arrow crab, never had one and I find them kinda like big spiders, they creep me out. lol

The cardinals are pretty, but I kind of want more smaller fish than fewer large ones. I think I'll go with the royal gramma

Beautiful fish, I had one and she was very social in a smaller tank. When I moved her to the 125g she never really took to the tank and mostly hid in the rocks. I think that's a great addition. :)

You also should consider gobies and blennies. They are really cool fish with personality.

Back
Top Bottom