45lb fiji just arrived, pics...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srgetz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got 45lb from liveaquaria.com. It looks like decent rock, not great, but a lot better than what I see at most local stores - for around $3 / lb shipped. Definately not as much coraline coverage you see on good aquacultured rock...but hey, I have no interest in big dense boulders with lots of unwanted critters either (although it is very pretty, esp. lr.com). Also, the rock did not smell really at all. Perhaps because it was cold out, and the smell will come later, I don't know. I found a 30gal storage tub for $8; it's being cured there. As you might expect, I found no critters at all when I dipped them in hypersaline sw - oh well, better than lots of bad critters. That is a tall kitchen bag, the largest rocks are around 12" x 8". The first pic is natural light, second is with a flash.

Attachments

• lr_1.jpg
    lr_1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 255
  • lr_2.jpg
    lr_2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 207
bump, there are the pics, here's a few of the curing setup in case anyone is interested, basically a powerhead and heater. This would also serve well as a qt setup for someone with larger fish.

Attachments

• bedding_013.jpg
    bedding_013.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 208
  • bedding_012.jpg
    bedding_012.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 118
Does that heater work for you at all? I try to use the same one on my QT and it fluctuates soooo badly. Plus its hard to keep it set at the right temp, one nudge and its off by 5 degrees. :?

I've gotten rock from liveaquaria and yeah, it's not as covered in coralline and there are no hitchhikers. Just wanted to let you know also, mine took about three weeks to cure. Since there was no life on the rock, I didn't bother with water changes and just let it do it's thing. It's decent rock for the price. I got some nice shaped pieces.

Since there was no life on the rock, I didn't bother with water changes and just let it do it's thing
There is DEFINITELY life in that rock! It will take a few months for things to recoup after harvesting, curing, shipping and re-curing. Just wait Srgetz. You'll see worms fairly soon for sure-peanut, etc. I have an encrusting SPS, not to mention many other "critters", that came in on my rocks. It died during cycling, but now it's back and about 3x4 inches w/ a nice cream color and bushy polyps. Things take time, nature works on it's own schedule! Just b/c your not getting bit by crabs while unloading doesn't, in anyway, mean it's "lifeless".

The heater works fine, used it on a 10g qt too - yes it is sensitive to adjustments though.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will do a water change later today. I expected a few weeks to cure. I hope there's some life left! :wink:

As Michael said, give it time. You'll be amazed at the life that starts appearing over the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom