46g Bowfront Reef: Phase 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlyons

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings to everyone here at AA!

First an introduction. My name is Marlanea, I live in the Houston area, and am SUPER excited to get to know everyone here, and I welcome your advice (and criticism).

I have been lurking here for quite a while now, while gathering information and opinions on all sorts of topics, and am ready to jump in with both feet! So, here's where I am...I have this 46 gallon bowfront, and am looking to create a reef aquarium.

I know that the Single Bright LED lighting that the aquarium is inadequate, and am considering this, instead.

I have learned about cycling, thanks to this forum, and am prepared to put in the time necessary to complete that activity. My initial concern was that I felt I needed "step by step" instructions. Then, I found EXACTLY that on LiveAquaria.com...They have a step by step plan for setting up your reef aquarium!!! It's like it was made just for me!

So, now for the current questions. I am in the process of gathering the equipment needed to be a success. I do not think I'm in the position to do the full-fledged sump/refugium thing. However, I am planning on getting the AquaFuge2 External Hang-On Refugium with Light.

Here's the question, what other filtration do I need? I know I need a skimmer, heater, etc (and will take any and all suggestions in ALL areas of equipment), but what are my filtration needs, exactly, considering this stocking plan?

Stocking plan:
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
2 x Kaudern's Cardinalfish
1 x Six Line Wrasse
1 x Longnose Hawkfish
1x Carpenter Wrasse

CUC:
25 x Hermit Crabs (various)
10 x Snails (various)
1 x Abalone
2 x Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

Corals:

Button Polyp, Yellow Colony Polyp, Hairy Mushroom Coral, and Bullseye Mushroom Coral, Silver Branch Pumping Xenia, Regular Pumping Xenia,Starburst Polyps, Colony Polyps, Cauliflower Colt Coral, Taro Tree Coral, Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral, Spaghetti Finger Leather Coral.

I will say, right off the bat, that I do plan to deviate somewhat from the instructions from LiveAquaria. In their instructions, they have the first SIX fish added all at the same time. From what I've learned here, that seems like a mistake. So, my plan is to add the pair of clownfish first. Then wait a week or two, add the cardinals. Wait a week or two...and so on. I do not want to overwhelm the system.

I'm sorry this was so long...but lay it on me. Where am I going wrong. Help me correct these mistakes before they happen!!!

Thank you all in advance for your help!:fish1:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquafuge2-external-hang-on-refugium-with-light.html

If you want inverts you cant get the hawk fish :/ snails and hermits should be ok because of their shell, but shrimp would die

That's OK about the hawkfish - most of the stock list is up for negotiations....but my favorites there are the clownfish, the cardinals, and the carpenter wrasse. Also the shrimp. Gotta have the shrimp.

Anything else can be worked around.

I like the bicolor dottyback, but have read from others here that they can be problematic...

Perhaps take advantage of the pistol shrimp/goby combo? I like the idea of them being buddies :)

Any equipment suggestions, ya'll? Or other stocking advice?

Don't leave me hanging....I've seen the wonderful help you do here....

mlyons said:
Greetings to everyone here at AA!

First an introduction. My name is Marlanea, I live in the Houston area, and am SUPER excited to get to know everyone here, and I welcome your advice (and criticism).

I have been lurking here for quite a while now, while gathering information and opinions on all sorts of topics, and am ready to jump in with both feet! So, here's where I am...I have this 46 gallon bowfront, and am looking to create a reef aquarium.

I know that the Single Bright LED lighting that the aquarium is inadequate, and am considering this, instead.

I have learned about cycling, thanks to this forum, and am prepared to put in the time necessary to complete that activity. My initial concern was that I felt I needed "step by step" instructions. Then, I found EXACTLY that on LiveAquaria.com...They have a step by step plan for setting up your reef aquarium!!! It's like it was made just for me!

So, now for the current questions. I am in the process of gathering the equipment needed to be a success. I do not think I'm in the position to do the full-fledged sump/refugium thing. However, I am planning on getting the AquaFuge2 External Hang-On Refugium with Light.

Here's the question, what other filtration do I need? I know I need a skimmer, heater, etc (and will take any and all suggestions in ALL areas of equipment), but what are my filtration needs, exactly, considering this stocking plan?

Stocking plan:
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
2 x Kaudern's Cardinalfish
1 x Six Line Wrasse
1 x Longnose Hawkfish
1x Carpenter Wrasse

CUC:
25 x Hermit Crabs (various)
10 x Snails (various)
1 x Abalone
2 x Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

Corals:

Button Polyp, Yellow Colony Polyp, Hairy Mushroom Coral, and Bullseye Mushroom Coral, Silver Branch Pumping Xenia, Regular Pumping Xenia,Starburst Polyps, Colony Polyps, Cauliflower Colt Coral, Taro Tree Coral, Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral, Spaghetti Finger Leather Coral.

I will say, right off the bat, that I do plan to deviate somewhat from the instructions from LiveAquaria. In their instructions, they have the first SIX fish added all at the same time. From what I've learned here, that seems like a mistake. So, my plan is to add the pair of clownfish first. Then wait a week or two, add the cardinals. Wait a week or two...and so on. I do not want to overwhelm the system.

I'm sorry this was so long...but lay it on me. Where am I going wrong. Help me correct these mistakes before they happen!!!

Thank you all in advance for your help!:fish1:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquafuge2-external-hang-on-refugium-with-light.html

Welcome to AA!!

Good call on not adding all the fish at once. But I would add the cardinals first cuz you wanna do the least aggressive first, and while clowns are usually peaceful, they are in the damsel family and can get territorial at times. I've never had a dottyback, but have read that they can be bullies. If you like that coloring, though, you could get a royal gramma.
If you don't want a sump, I would recommend a canister filter for that size tank. Fluval is a good brand, but there are other good ones too. You'll need a filter rated for twice the size of your tank, though.
I don't know that heater, but as long as it has the capability to dial in a particular temp, it should be fine. I have an aqua C remora s skimmer, and it works great. Not familiar with the skimmer you listed.

Welcome your list seems very well thought out good job. I have the eshopp skimmer hob it works well no problems. the cup is hard to get off seals tight which is good.

Thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming!!

I will definitely make the cardinals my first fishy friends...and will confirm the workings of the heater.

I thought I might need a canister filter, but wasn't sure, so thank you for adding that to my list. :) What media should I put in there? I know that I don't really want additional "bio" media because it becomes a problem as far as nitrates go...So I was thinking something along the lines of primarily carbon and purigen. Does this sound about right?

Fluval 06 (model 406)

Now let's look at lights. I'm considering the Marineland Reef Capable LEDs. For one thing, they're LED, which is just cool. And they are on sale. My tank is 36" wide. Could I get away with the 24-36 model or should I just bite the bullet and go with the 36-48?

Again, thanks for the help everyone...even though I haven't REALLY done anything yet, I finally feel like my project is coming together!!

I have that same Fluval and it works great for me. Chemipure is great. Haven't used purigen yet, but I've heard good things about it. Some people put rock rubble in there too. I clean it out every week and replace 1 foam piece per week.

I've heard that the marineland "reef capable" lights won't actually support anything but the lowest light corals. I have it on my FOWLR, but for my reef tank I have Kessil lighting. I've also heard good things about Par 38 bulbs, so check those out. :)

What do y'all think about a yellowtail blue damsel? I understand they are the "least" aggressive of the damsels...but still I would it last, so that it doesn't own the whole tank...

mlyons said:
What do y'all think about a yellowtail blue damsel? I understand they are the "least" aggressive of the damsels...but still I would it last, so that it doesn't own the whole tank...

"least" aggressive of the damsels is still aggressive lol I would avoid the entire damsel species unless you have a large tank with large fish.

Hmmm....so hard....so MANY choices....

I think I'm liking the Royal Gramma...My goal is color and variety, I think I'm getting there!

You mentioned the Aquafuge HOB refugium. They also make an Aquafuge PS. It has the built in protein skimmer. It's the same size but with part of the space being for the skimmer. I'll post a pic of mine. I got it off of eBay for $120 plus shipping. I did not get the light but added a $15 home depot desk light instead. I have been throwing cheato out like crazy. Nitrates finally hit zero.

You mentioned the Aquafuge HOB refugium. They also make an Aquafuge PS. It has the built in protein skimmer. It's the same size but with part of the space being for the skimmer. I'll post a pic of mine. I got it off of eBay for $120 plus shipping. I did not get the light but added a $15 home depot desk light instead. I have been throwing cheato out like crazy. Nitrates finally hit zero.

Thanks for that tip!! I'll look into it - that would be super handy.

Here is my PS

Attachments

• image-2090443862.jpg
    image-2090443862.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image-317189851.jpg
    image-317189851.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 79
Ingy: So what all do you have in there? I saw rubble...Mud? Sand? Any other filtration? What size tank?

I bought a nice 5 lb piece of base rock and smashed it to pieces to help with bio filtration. No sand or mud in my fuge, although it is an option. But I have a 4" DSB and figured I didn't need it in the fuge. I did put a small piece of LR in the fuge initially to help seed the new rock, but it's back in the 30 gal main now.
So far I really like the PS fuge. I did add a piece of wedge wood to hold the cup in place because the o-ring didn't feel substantial enough. I didn't want the cup to fall inside the skimmer and then overflow.

mlyons said:
OK...so while waiting for some replies, how about I add to the shopping list, and y'all tell me what you think...

2 x Koralia Evolution 550
Eshopps HOB protein skimmer
200W Marineland VisiTherm Heater
Refracometer
Thermometer

I have the eshopps hob skimmer psk100h in my reef and it works very well. Just make sure you clean the sponge that goes back into the tank with every water change, it gets gunned up with tank muck. Pop off the sponge and rinse it. Also, I have 2 koralia 750's in my 54g reef and they are perfect.

Good luck!!

Skip the marine land lights, they are all pretty bad. If you,were only looking at mushrooms, ok, but anything else and they are a fail. Also, skip the damsel. Aggressive and just not worth it. You could do maybe a coral Beauty angel for the same coloration.

Honestly I only have experience with led lighting. I think someone can jump in, but for t5's, the recommended is about 4 watts a gallon for soft and most lps coral, more for sps. Hope that helps a bit.

Back
Top Bottom