5.6 Fluval Spec Saltwater Fish & Reef Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taintedlemons

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a semi-experienced Freshwater caretaker, but saltwater is a whole new ball game to me. 3 Days ago I set up my Fluval Spec 5

5.6 Gallons
Salinity - 1.024-1.025
PH - 8.0
Nitrates - 5.0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Ammonia - 0 ppm

3 days ago I added 5 1/2 - 6 pounds of live sand, yesterday I added 5 1/4 Pounds of live rock. Today I have added 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and nothing else. I'm letting everything stay as it is for awhile until I see how the cycling turns out considering this is my first time working with live sand, and live rock. So far it seems good. I've had these clownfish for 2-3 weeks in a QT, and they've been doing great. So here where my questions begin to come in.

I treated the water with water condition first, then followed with salt. The salinity is perfectly at 1.024-1.025. I am wondering if there is certain chemicals I should be adding daily/weekly/monthly etc.

Currently the setup is the original filtration with the exception of chemi-pure in place of the charcoal. I have heard of many people from the fish stores I go to, who have successfully used this tank to create beautiful fish & reef tanks that have done really great for a long time. Yes I realize the smaller the tank the more care. I am comfortable with that. I learned freshwater care from having a 10 gallon, I am doing the same for saltwater.

So back to questions. I am waiting most likely 2 months before adding anything else to the tank. At the moment I have 5 1/4 Pounds of live rock, and 5 1/2 - 6 Pounds of live sand. I intend on adding about 3-5 more pounds of live rock at any given point. However for the remainder of the 2 months will not be adding anything living.

I'd like to know what chemicals I should be using during these two months with just the live rock & clownfish. I will be doing 10% water changes weekly, and changing out the chemi-pure every 4 months (as suggested by directions on packaging). Should I be doing anything else during this time? More frequent water changes? Chemicals? Certain feeding?

Second thing I plan to do is I want to add 1 Starfish, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, and either a slug or snail (maybe both). What would I need for them? Any chemicals? Different food (Clownfish eat mysis shrimp), anything I will need to change of my routine after the 2 month period, cycling and addition of them?

Finally the last stage of my entire plan. Upgrading light drastically and Adding corals & anemones. I want to have two anemones, one suited for the clownfish, and one that isn't very aggressive, but bold. I also would like to add various corals, mushrooms, and whatever else I can to make this tank absolutely stunning. So what would I need for corals? Chemicals? Different water changes? Equipment?

If someone could break me down a list for each stage of what to do that would be wonderful. I really don't want to mess this up, and I really want to learn what I can.

So as a refresher

Stage 1 - Clownfish Care
Two Month Break

Stage 2 - Starfish, Cleaner Shrimp, Slug & Snail Care
2-3 Week Break

Stage 3 - Add Corals, Anemones
Completion Party!

I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks so much everyone.

I actually got the two clownfish before anything so I could quarantine them. So I already had two before I asked, but they actually suggested only to have one, but the ones who I have talked to with the same tank as me have two as well and they said as long as you don't miss water changes weekly it goes well and hasn't caused them an issue, but even still as a professional they advised against it. But hey I say if they got it to work I'm sure I can!

Back
Top Bottom