Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

5 gallon Dwarf Seahorse Build!

For my sisters birthday I'm getting her a 5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank (which she can take to college with her). She works at the zoo and LOVES watching them!

Currently I've been trying to find a place where I can get a plain 5 gallon tank. No lights, filter, nada! Can't find one. I can find plenty of kits and some larger aquariums that are plain but no 5G...

Next, I was thinking of stacking some base rock in the middle (live rock carries hydroids) and putting plants on both sides that they can wrap their tails around (dont know of any plants).

If my parents invest some money I thought a nano reef LED would be pretty cheap and I could get some coral. My sister says its ok if I don't get coral.

I was thinking of putting in
4 seahorses
1 small starfish
Some shrimp (ideas??)
As a start.

Don't know what I'm going to feed them. I don't like baby brine shrimp too much so I was thinking of culturing copepods(maybe idk) or any advice is welcome.

I was just going to buy a cheap standard heater and I was going to use a sponge filter. Any problems with that?

Any help along the way is greatly appreciated! I don't know when I'm getting the tank (hopefully soon.

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well i know nothing about SW but by just doing a quick search on dwarf seahorses your going to need a 10g tank for one so im not sure a 5gal would be suitable for 4 + other fish. But im in no way positive just putting my 2cents.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCitrol View Post
Well i know nothing about SW but by just doing a quick search on dwarf seahorses your going to need a 10g tank for one so im not sure a 5gal would be suitable for 4 + other fish. But im in no way positive just putting my 2cents.
10g is actually the MAX size for dwarf seahorses. And you can put a good 15 in a 10g. The minimum is most likely a 2.5 gal with 2 or 3 in it.
3g Pico Reef
Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Live aquaria says you can do a few in a 5 gallon. I would recommend not adding any other fish, I don't have any horses but am interested and the main thing I see recommended is species only. Does she have experience with sw tanks, seahorses seem to be thought of as an expert level fish and the dwarf seahorses are quite demanding on their diet. I would just say to make sure she is committed, I am not trying to convince you not to do it I just want to share what I know.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dwarf seahorses are not a creature to take lightly that's for sure in fact any seahorse is considered an expert level species. I would suggest lots of research before diving in. I am not sure of too many people on here that have them or I would point you in that direction for some experience related info. I have heard they should be housed in a species only tank with low flow and the heater shouldn't be in the main DT cause they tend do grab them and burn themselves. Again just some stuff I have read in passing. I think they are also very sensitive to water fluctuations which in a nano sized tank can be very hard to keep stable. Have you done saltwater before? And if so what size and type of tank was it? Just a couple of questions from a saltwater junkie. Lol
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal A View Post
Dwarf seahorses are not a creature to take lightly that's for sure in fact any seahorse is considered an expert level species. I would suggest lots of research before diving in. I am not sure of too many people on here that have them or I would point you in that direction for some experience related info. I have heard they should be housed in a species only tank with low flow and the heater shouldn't be in the main DT cause they tend do grab them and burn themselves. Again just some stuff I have read in passing. I think they are also very sensitive to water fluctuations which in a nano sized tank can be very hard to keep stable. Have you done saltwater before? And if so what size and type of tank was it? Just a couple of questions from a saltwater junkie. Lol
My sister is very dedicated and is training to be a vet. As long as i show her what to do I think she will do just fine. My only saltwater tank was a 10gallon dwarf seahorse tank. I did it species only but I've heard there are some coral and other fish that could do fine with them.
3g Pico Reef
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Cool sounds like ya got the tools ya need. I always ask those kinda questions when it come to such delicate creatures. Just want the best for them. Good luck and keep us posted I'm always up for learning some more info to share with others.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal A View Post
Cool sounds like ya got the tools ya need. I always ask those kinda questions when it come to such delicate creatures. Just want the best for them. Good luck and keep us posted I'm always up for learning some more info to share with others.
Now I just need to find a empty 5 gallon tank without all the extra crap and convince my other sister to put some money into this.
3g Pico Reef
Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You could use turtlegrass for the plant, I bet it would be perfect!

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/produ...d=2441&cid=284
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Petco has plain 5.5 gal for about $16. It's a glass tank. Just got one today for a betta

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, build, dwarf, dwarf seahorse, seahorse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com