5 gallon QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so, I recently had two clowns in a 5g QT for about 2 weeks until one suddenly died and the other is seemingly dying the same way :( everything I tried isn't working and I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong. If my last clown dies I just wanna make sure I do it successfully this time so I have a few questions.

1) is a 5g QT ok? I'm going to add media from my DT filter that's been in there since day one plus some added media that I threw in there about a week and a half ago AND use tank water from my DT.

2) my stocking list includes: pair of oce clowns, 1 purple firefish, 1 shrimp goby (most likely YWG) Originally I was going to add the clowns but I'm thinking it's better to add the others as they are less territorial. Should I get the firefish or watchman first?

3) I previously QT'd while using prazipro and cupramine preventatively which may have added on to the stress the fish were already going through. Should I just watch them over 2 weeks and after that either dose or introduce to DT? Do I still dose prazipro preventatively as it is reported not to be harsh?

That's all for now, I just wanna make sure I do this right and finally get some fish in my DT.

How is your QT set up? IMO, a 5g is okay for small fish, gobies, nano fish basically, but it has so little water you have to watch parameters like crazy so things like temp and nitrates don't jump up quickly. It probably won't work well for larger fish. I'd go 10g or larger if you can. I don't treat unless I see something going on, but I would observe for more like 4 weeks.

How is your QT set up? IMO, a 5g is okay for small fish, gobies, nano fish basically, but it has so little water you have to watch parameters like crazy so things like temp and nitrates don't jump up quickly. It probably won't work well for larger fish. I'd go 10g or larger if you can. I don't treat unless I see something going on, but I would observe for more like 4 weeks.

Bare bottom, with internal whisper filter. It would only be used to quarantine 3 times:

2 oce clowns
1 purple firefish
1 ywg

Would it be ok for these fish?

Once I upgrade my 17G will become my QT.

Back
Top Bottom