Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so you're unbelievably awesome. Cool. Anyways, nano tanks are difficult, unless you are the above person. Anyone will tell you that in a nano tank you are more likely to have parameter, water quality, and temperature swings that would be much quicker and drastic than in a bigger tank. Evaporation is much more impactive and salinity goes up very rapidly.

Now do you keep corals, or just fish? Do you realize the importance of water stability while keeping corals? I don't keep corals and realize the importance of it just from reading posts on here. If the OP is going to keep only fish, then it's not AS important, but you can't assume they won't want corals.

So, back to my previous statement, please don't thinly keeping a 5 gallon tank is easy.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Had a 16g and now have a 20g, neither are what I would consider easy. If you aren't the type of person who enjoys messing with your tank on a daily basis then a nano probably isn't for you. The amount of water that evaporates daily is actually pretty amazing.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Never said I was awesome but thank you lol and I keep corals and fish
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
Please don't think keeping a 5 gallon tank is easy...
Definitely not. I meant topping it off would be easy.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsblood View Post
Had a 16g and now have a 20g, neither are what I would consider easy. If you aren't the type of person who enjoys messing with your tank on a daily basis then a nano probably isn't for you. The amount of water that evaporates daily is actually pretty amazing.
I don't mind daily stuff as long as we aren't talking hours of work. As long as it is relatively the same. I don't mind stuff that will be able to put into a routine.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Ok so you're unbelievably awesome. Cool. Anyways, nano tanks are difficult, unless you are the above person. Anyone will tell you that in a nano tank you are more likely to have parameter, water quality, and temperature swings that would be much quicker and drastic than in a bigger tank. Evaporation is much more impactive and salinity goes up very rapidly.

Now do you keep corals, or just fish? Do you realize the importance of water stability while keeping corals? I don't keep corals and realize the importance of it just from reading posts on here. If the OP is going to keep only fish, then it's not AS important, but you can't assume they won't want corals.

So, back to my previous statement, please don't thinly keeping a 5 gallon tank is easy.
And I don't really care what's in it to be honest. I read somewhere crabs and shrimp are normal for a small tank and they mentioned sea horses but they also said it was complex and I am not experienced and that is WAY over my head. The hubs will do it for 2 weeks and get over it so it's on me and I have my own freshwater tank and I think I have the concepts and theories down but when I put them in my bigger tank will be my big test.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just get live sand, 7 lbs of live rock, and pre made salt water, a marine land led light, and a aqua clear filter for a 20 gallon tank, cycle it (I used to clown fish) and then your good to go. Do a solo cup a week water change and top of with freshwater(RO) daily. And you will be fine.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

My advice is at least go with a 10 gallon. Seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference, but it does. My first tank is a 70 gallon + 45 gallon sump. My second is a 20 gallon and I had a much more difficult time getting it stable. The salinity swings more and it doesn't allow for a lot of laziness. It's good that you got the basic concepts down, but FW and SW are very different. Wish you the best of luck

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathclawRowe1 View Post
Just get live sand, 7 lbs of live rock, and pre made salt water, a marine land led light, and a aqua clear filter for a 20 gallon tank, cycle it (I used to clown fish) and then your good to go. Do a solo cup a week water change and top of with freshwater(RO) daily. And you will be fine.
So you're talking bout a fish in cycle with a 5 gallon tank. Bad idea. Why a marine land led light, and not a Wave Point? Why premade salt, and not say to mix their own? Why a red solo cup and not a percentage of water? I don't think you really have any idea about the mechanics of a nano tank personally.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

So you're talking bout a fish in cycle with a 5 gallon tank. Bad idea. Why a marine land led light, and not a Wave Point? Why premade salt, and not say to mix their own? Why a red solo cup and not a percentage of water? I don't think you really have any idea about the mechanics of a nano tank personally.
My nano tank is fine. And because everyone has red solo cups and that percentage of water works perfectly fine. And a marine land led light is efficient and reliable. Also I trust marine land more than any other company in the world. And premade salt is only 3 dollars for every 10 gallons where I live. And petco sells 8 gallons of salt mix for 10.99 so I figured its a better deal and easier. And I used fish to cycle my 5 gallon and it worked just fine. Didnt lose any fish. I don't know why your so defensive I mean everybody has their own ideas I'm just saying what worked for me. We all have our methods and those are mine. All worked perfect for me and for my 6 other aquariums in my room. So I don't see the problem with any of it.

Tags
5 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com