Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

5 or 10 gallon nano reef, first saltwater

looking to make a 5 or 10 gallon sw tank, i have never donae any saltwater before. what would i need to do this, and how much would it cost, i want to keep the price to a minimum.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm about to start my first too , since it's your first I would say ten instead of five because the less water you have the harder it is on your ecosystem / fish . Like I said I'm new so look up some sw builds they have everything you could possibly wonder . Sorry I couldn't be more of a help .

Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenny
looking to make a 5 or 10 gallon sw tank, i have never donae any saltwater before. what would i need to do this, and how much would it cost, i want to keep the price to a minimum.
I'm a freshie but I can tell you what I know in my limited knowledge in salt. Generally a setup costs around 200-300 dollars for bigger tanks but smaller it is less money. Usually you need a skimmer, good lighting, a sump, and live rock to start your cycle.

For that small of a tank I'd recommend a goby or two with various inverts. Some easy corals (of you're looking into them) are mushrooms and zoas.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok, any saltwater people wish to chime in?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you could only keep shrimp in a 5gallon. And a ten could only have a couple and some shrimp/inverts
Old 08-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would go with a 10g only cause it's easier than 5g and will let you get more things like fish and inverts. You really can't put too much in a 10g but it might be a good starter, though the bigger the better ( and easier).

Are you planning on corals at all? That will be your biggest expense, lighting. A skimmer isnt needed on such a small tank if you do your water changes every week.

If possible I would recommend a 20g or 29g, much easier to take care of and will allow you to actually have some fish. You cant put a pair of clowns in a 10g and thats a real popular fish.

Depending on your budget a biocube or nano cube might be the way to go. You get everything needed pretty much in one package. Plus the lights can support most easy corals.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i cant really do a 20 gallon, too big, my parents wont allow another tank of that size. so im stuck with 10 gallons. i would like to do corals and a fish or 2, maybe a shrimp. what would i need for the tank?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You'd need live rock/base rock, sand, heater, filter and lights. You also should use ro/di water which you can buy at a lfs or at the supermarket water machines. You would need about 2-4 g a week, depending on how much you change out and accounting for adding water due to evaporation.

A powerhead would also be good, get the flow going to make sure nothing can build up in dead spots.

As far as fish though, youre kinda limited. here's a link with nano fish listed, might be able to find something thats cool there.

Nano Fish

Clown goby's are quite small so you could get one of them and maybe another small fish. You could have a few shrimp and snails and hermits too.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

what type of light and filter, could i do a firefish with the goby, what type of shrimp and inverts, what about corals?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You could do a firefish and the goby. You could add a fire shrimp, peppermints or maybe some golden coral banded, they stay kinda small. They have sexy shrimp too, but I find them way too tiny, even for my 4g pico LOL

Any regular filter will do, an aquaclear 30 would be fine.

As far as corals though, it depends on the lighting. Better brighter light means more selection. Some easy corals are zooanthids, mushrooms and leathers.

Most lighting comes in 24" sizes though and the 10g is 20" so you might have to search a bit for cheap lights.

Tags
10 gallon, nano, nano reef, reef, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com