Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

50 gallon hob filter

What would be a good filter for a 50 gallon tank. Maybe two of them and make one a refugium ? Open to suggestions please. Can't do a sump

Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

CPR Aquafuge ps. It's a hob refugium with a skimmer. Mines working great. I got one off eBay for $180 with shipping and it's less to USA. Search for skimmer and look for the 75.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's mine working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3979438144.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	115581  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://bit.ly/QURFFE
Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
Thanks bud. That would be all I needed right. I have a biocube and everything was there so I'm still learning more and more. What would be the filtration besides the fuge. Or do you also add a filter or is there a spot for filtration in what you are showing my. Again I appreciate the help.

Traded a Monopoly 70th ann. Edition for a 50 gallon with stand and glass hood. Wanna start to get things.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

This model fuge has the built in skimmer. I have no other filtration. Of course you would have room for a hob filter on your 50.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get the large model of the Aquafuge. Some of them do not come with light and skimmer, so read really carefully about what is included. There are other options for light if you don't want the manufacturer's lighting.

You can definitely use an HOB filter instead of the live rocks, but most people appreciate live rocks due to the "life" that comes with it (different organisms and critters). The live rocks are worth the extra cost IMO.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance
Get the large model of the Aquafuge. Some of them do not come with light and skimmer, so read really carefully about what is included. There are other options for light if you don't want the manufacturer's lighting.

You can definitely use an HOB filter instead of the live rocks, but most people appreciate live rocks due to the "life" that comes with it (different organisms and critters). The live rocks are worth the extra cost IMO.
I would put live Rock and macro algae. I saw some you tube vids were they put chemi pure in the first little section where the water enters
Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The link I provided is a 4.7 gal with the skimmer. As such there is no room for a filter in the skimmer section. However you could put it in the fuge section I think. I also added a 5 lb base rock I broke into pieces and the cheato ball. No lights included but I added a clip on cfl light and the cheato is growing very fast.

I'll add a photo of what I received. I think it's a factory second because if the price. I had to file down a bracket to make it fit. Took 30 seconds to do.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
The link I provided is a 4.7 gal with the skimmer. As such there is no room for a filter in the skimmer section. However you could put it in the fuge section I think. I also added a 5 lb base rock I broke into pieces and the cheato ball. No lights included but I added a clip on cfl light and the cheato is growing very fast.

I'll add a photo of what I received. I think it's a factory second because if the price. I had to file down a bracket to make it fit. Took 30 seconds to do.
Ok sounds good. Yes I forgot the video I saw was without the skimmer. Thanks again

Tags
50 gallon, filter, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com