50 gallon seaclear build with 20 gallon long sump/refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyfish79

Aquarium Advice Freak
So where to begin, well I have finally purchased my tank to replace my 20 gallon long. My plan is to have my DT upstairs and plumb my sump/refugium down to my basement. My question is, could I use my old sand bed out of my current tank for my fuge? I already have 40 lbs of new sand for my DT? Thanks

You could, but I never think using old sand is a good idea with all of the uneaten food and poop usually caught up in the stuff. Requires a ton of rinsing and work that just isn't worth it IMO. If you have 1 lbs per gallon in the display, it isn't going to serve any additional benefit in the sump anyway.

Don't you want a 2-3" sandbed in the fuge though?

only if doing a Deep Sand Bed setup in the fuge, but then you want between 4"-6" depth.

For the size tank you are doing, not sure if it would be worth it as water changes and judicious feeding should suffice to maintain nitrate levels.

but having said all that, there is no reason to not do it.
;)

So what's the difference between having a deep sand bed to not having a sand bed at all in the fuge? Just to keep the trates up for the bb?

A DSB provides a place for anaerobic bacteria to flourish is quantity, and provide a denitrifying effect (removal of nitrate and the production of non-organic nitrogen gas). The inherent risk with a DSB is the potential for a build up of H2S gas, a toxic nerve gas that, if allowed to build up and then be disturbed, can wipe out a tank.
If you have a macro algae in your sump, then you already have a nitrate consuming method, and a DSB is not required. A bare bottom sump is much easier to maintain too.

Alright next question, my live rock that I have in my current tank has an abundance of green algae on it and I've read to take a toothbrush or some sort of scrubber to it to clean it off in my water change water . I plan on doing this when I switch things over from my old tank. I don't have that many corals and they're all pretty hardy or beginner corals haha. Yay, nay? I just want everything looking as pristine as possible as this will be my first "big" tank. I've had my nano for a year and a half now and I've learned the expensive way not to be cheap when it comes to saltwater

I have been fighting GHA for a long time. I starved my fish (reduced feeding to about 1 time per week) reduced lighting drastically in the DT and even put some algae rocks into a covered curing bucket and nothing worked. I added a huge CUC consisting of almost all hermits (plus 4 lettuce slugs and a lawnmower blenny) and they have been destroying the algae. I'm feeding again and the lights are back on. Go CUC!

Back
Top Bottom