500g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dhiy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need your guys expertise on this. I saw a 500g tank on craigslist for sale and are asking $6000 for the whole setup. What is your guys opinion on this?

Attachments

• image-3394599117.jpg
    image-3394599117.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 257
That's insane. Would be nice to have and fun to stock if you had deep pockets. But price wise I don't know how much a tank like this would run. If you do end up getting it, id love to see the build thread.

When I got my 110 I priced everything out including the live rocks that came with it (not the fish or sand). In the end I paid about 1/3 the price for new as the tank was less than a year old. I would price out all his equipment then aim for around 1/3 or less depending on how new or old everything is.

I've seen that craigslist ad. I think the guy selling it is a member of the Puget Sound Aquarium Society.

With $6000, this is what I would do:
If its my first reef tank, then I would rather build my own tank because a 500g is really hard work (even for an experienced hobbyist)
If 500g is considered to be my second or third tank, then I would change my mind and build my own tank again.

The deal has a lot of equipment that I would not use. I wouldn't want to even bother reselling what I don't need (time consuming).

Yes, he is from the Seattle area. This would be my third tank. I have a seahorse tank and a 55g reef setup. I was thinking of using that 500g as a predator only tank but I really have no clue what it would cost me. I was looking at a new 240g setup costing more than $4000!!

I would offer him substantially less but stress that you offer cash and move it all with your own crew. He may say no but maybe he knows how to barter fairly.

Craigslist is full of wishful sellers, this lady selling me the same car I currently drive but a new model was admitting she was asking over blue book value when I pointed out some rust she painted herself. Good luck, but I told her nicely to let me know if she wants to reconsider in a few weeks.

That guy selling his pinmpcastle tank is either moving, has to pay for his kids xyz, is sick of the hobby or is in dire need to cash for bookies.

Barter him down!

The seller has been trying to sell it for 6k for at least 6 months. I remember looking for a 180g 1 year ago, and I remember seeing his 500g tank.

Hopefully his patience is growing thinner by now.

IME Once you get over 300 gallons it's a job not a hobby a 10% water change is 50 gl. how are you going to move that water Dont get me wrong it's one hell of a tank But you really need to commit to it

Large systems need very exotic setups for quick and easy water change (great if you have a room right behind the tank). There was a guy on another reef forum that could quickly do a ~15% water change in his 250g in 20min - all being automatic. The only thing he did was the manual siphoning of waste at the bottom of the tank. He did these water changes weekly as well.

Yea I was thinking about it and that's way too big of a tank. Maybe a 240g would be better. Does anyone know a good website on setting one up? With overflows, filters needed and sump? I have a 55g but only have a hob carbon filter so it's not that complicated.

I wouldn't ignore the fact that once the tank is all set up (water, glass, stand, rock equipment etc) it's going to be in the neighborhood of 5000 pounds. That's like having a pick up truck parked in your living room. Can your floor support two and a half tons?

I would assume it would, but I wouldn't be against put some 2X4s between the floor joists and the basement floor for extra support.
Also, it looks really tall, I'd double check the height before I bought it. Remember, you'll probably need a few inches of clearance to get the hood on. I'd assume it drops and inch or so once it's in place.

Back
Top Bottom