The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been keeping my eyes open for a larger used tank to set up reef. Besides the obvious water volume which is most suitable and why? 55 long, 75 or 90 standard. I am concerned about using a 55 long because the front to back width is so narrow and it seems limiting because of that as far as reef building is concerned. your thoughts please.

depends what you want to have in it, most would say go big or don't go so the 90 is a good start, and this gets super addicting so you might want biggerr after

depends what you want to have in it, most would say go big or don't go so the 90 is a good start, and this gets super addicting so you might want biggerr after

I have a 29 fowlr just 30 days or so old but am limited to wall space of 5 ft max. the 90 standard I believe is 48 inches across. the 75 and 55 the same.

indeed, there are also 48" 120s 150s and 210s but the 150s are tall and the 210s are deep, they will sit 36" off the wall. i would go with a 120g, there is a little bit of a broader range of fish

48" 210s? I don't believe I've ever seen that. To the OP, id recommend going as big as you can fit. Its VERY common for hobbyists to get into this with a modest size tank (55,75,90) only to upgrade or wish they did later. Going with a 125,180,210 will open up ALOT of options for fish, esp the tang, trigger, and puffer family.

The 55 is just too narrow depth-wise. I'd still recommend to go as big as you can so that your system will be more stable as well as open up the most options for the type of fish you want.

I started with a 90. Two months later I already wish I had a 200. There are so many more options. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom