55 gal filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What kind of filtration other than live rock and a skimmer should I use in my 55 gal tank? I plan on having Live rock and fish only.

I have a 55 and use nothing other than the rock, sand, and skimmer.

I have 100# of LR, and a 3" LSB.

I had not planned on using a sump (I have a three year old kid and was afraid I would have problems with her putting things in it). I would prefer to have hang on the back filtration if possible to keep everything off the floor or below the tank. Basically what I am planning is a 55gal tank with about 75 to 100lbs of live rock and about 3 or 4 fish. I know the live rock will aid in the filtration along with a skimmer but I would imagine I would probably need more I just dont know what too use.

Speaking of a sump what is the difference between a "sump" and a "Wet/Dry" filter?

Well in some cases people say them as the same thing but a wet dry is usually where water from your tank is poured over bioballs to help reduce nitrates, where other people use a sump as like rubber maid container for both extra water and for their skimmer.

pretty much the only differece in a wet/dry and a sump is the area of the wet/dry that holds the bio-balls. In a system with a sump it is assumed that there is LR/LS and a skimmer to perform the function of the wet/dry. wet/dry's are typical in fish only systems where higher NO3 is tolerable.

I know the live rock will aid in the filtration along with a skimmer but I would imagine I would probably need more I just dont know what too use.

Growing up with only freshwater aquaria, I also had trouble believing that somehow rock and sand could be the entire base of filtration. But, it really is true that LR and LS can and will outcompete any kind of manmade filtration and with 75-100lbs in a 55g, I don't think you will have an issue. Bob Fenner and Anthony Calfo's new Reef Invertebrates book gives great information in the beginning on the principles of such natural filtration.

Back
Top Bottom